• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cross Collar Choke to Armbar

So I've fallen a bit behind on updating everything :lol: We've been busy with the holidays and a hectic return to work. To kick off our new year at the gym, we're working through a review of the fundamentals of jiu jitsu.

Here's a look at a crucial attack, the cross collar choke, and one of the first chained attacks one should learn- from cross collar to the armbar.

So, how do the details on the actual attacks AND the transitions line up with how others view them? At what point do other practitioners being to drive fluid attacks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Nice series. We don't roll with gi though, so I wonder how well an attempted cross-collar choke would work with just a t-shirt on?

Great question. As with all things it depends. A t shirt can tear away, but the way it rolls up can be advantageous to holding on to it as well as sliding under the jaw. For me, I also consider that not everything I run into on the job is a tee. For instance, hoodies and jackets are popular for what seems like 6 months out of the year in the Chicago :lol:

• 2 months later...
Nice series. We don't roll with gi though, so I wonder how well an attempted cross-collar choke would work with just a t-shirt on?

Just roll the shirt up when you go for the collar. It actually makes the choke even more effective than gi, as you now (quite literally) have wrapped a rope around your opponents neck