• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

MA suits and washing accidents ... what do you do?

Hawkmoon

In this thread:

http://www.karateforums.com/does-anyone-s-club-insist-on-a-specific-gi-design-vt48738-30.html

I've added a post about an ... um ... accident with my Gi and a RED sheet.

The result was to turn my 'traditional' white Gi pink!

Now the wife had a good chuckle about that ... me not so much. :P

Years ago I made the same mistake and was able to bleach my suit white again, it was all good it last until 5 years ago!

Upon going back to Karate I brought a new suit and like before tried to bleach it white, failed, at best it was less pink and after three goes at bleaching it was starting to fall apart at the seems!.

(Trousers ..around the crotch)

We tried some new washing power 'stuff' that claimed it could correct the colour bleed ... the gi is now in the bin utterly ruined!

I've ordered a new GI, its arrived and will monitor with great gusto when its washed to get it to feel more cotton then cardboard... and get the cotton shrink done and put the badgers back on!

Bleach should have worked, but sadly didn't for me, so Washing accidents, what do you do?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bleach does something very nasty to cotton. The chemical is very harsh on cotton fibers and it only takes a couple of washes to ruin a quality 100% cotton canvas dogi. I found out the hard way a few years ago and now I completely avoid using it. There is no sure way to know if a colour will bleed, so washing separately is the best way to avoid a brand new pink dogi.

MA suits and washing accidents ... what do you do?

Kick yourself...hard...learn that lesson...then...

BUY ANOTHER GI!! Lessons can be expensive!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I always wash my Gi on it's own. I think it's safer that way. Although I did manage to get a red dye stain on my Gi top once. I had taken part in a competition and put a red belt on my top which was soaked with sweat when packing my kit bag to go home. A scrub with some vanish and a long steep in detergent along with a couple of washes in the machine managed to remove it though. Now my competition belts are stored in a separate compartment in my bag. :D

Mo.

Be water, my friend.

I always wash my Gi on it's own. I think it's safer that way. Although I did manage to get a red dye stain on my Gi top once. I had taken part in a competition and put a red belt on my top which was soaked with sweat when packing my kit bag to go home. A scrub with some vanish and a long steep in detergent along with a couple of washes in the machine managed to remove it though. Now my competition belts are stored in a separate compartment in my bag. :D

Mo.

I hear that !

The new rule no correction LAW is, in my best cave man voice:

"Gi get own wash Ug!"

The decision to wash it with a red sheet ... is so sooo lost on me it truly is. Now belt colour runs, yup that was something a friend suffered and so why I started to cold wash the belts to loose the extra dye in the belt!

Sensei8, buy a new Gi ...100% yep!

I was planning on a new Gi to go with me new Shodan belt when it arrives, I still do and will, at least that way I will have a spare...just in case we decide to wash a red sheet with my Gi!

LOL!

Worst situation I had was after sparring with people who had colored pads...color wore off on the Gi (did help to show me where I need to do better with blocking!). Took several washes with pre-treat to get it all out.

I solely take care of washing my Gis and pads. Can't use bleach on the Kyokushin Gis because they have the kanji sewn in. I have found out that non-chlorine bleach doesn't hurt them, although it doesn't seem to get the yellow stains out either.

I washed my original gi (the free one with signing up) with jeans and other stuff in hot water. It had a nice blue tint to it afterwards. Motivated me to buy my first heavyweight gi.

We also had a problem with colored belts bleeding onto our gis. We all had these yellow, green or brown stains around our waists. It first started with our yellow belts. We just thought our gis were getting old and grungy. After we got promoted to green belt, we realized it was the belts. Then it became fun.

I also had a Shureido bo that rubbed its finished off on my gi when it was new. After I figured out it was the bo, I scrubbed it with a wet rag for quite a while to get whatever was left of it off. Brown dirt looking stains on my shoulders and ribs weren't cool, especially with a Shureido gi. They washed off pretty easy though.

Now if I remember my school physics lessons correctly...to get rid of a red stain to your gi, just wash it with a blue sheet and a yellow sheet.

I'm sure that will work, it's the scientific thing to do.

hmm ... if it ever happens again I'll give that a go, a couple of sheets is way less than a new Gi so if it fails I've lost nothing other then the another pink gi.

FYI:

just to clear it is in the bin now and in some land fill around here!