• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Promotions: Ceremony, or No?

OSU!!

We have a formal test usually after the main training, the test is simple and is set of the kihon, kataand kumite for each rank. Ceremony is I guess the best term or it. When we actually get our belts it is basically hey you pasted here is a belt from our closet or you ca buy one. My Shodan however was a little bit of a tado. e went to dinner and my sensei presented me with my brand new ki belt. My cert came later a really cool cert in Japanese and signed by our head master Okazaki. I think the ceremony is a fine thing but I have heard of some crazy ones, with silk belt trays and beating the student with their old belt lol to each their own I guess! OSU!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
OSU!!

We have a formal test usually after the main training, the test is simple and is set of the kihon, kataand kumite for each rank. Ceremony is I guess the best term or it. When we actually get our belts it is basically hey you pasted here is a belt from our closet or you ca buy one. My Shodan however was a little bit of a tado. e went to dinner and my sensei presented me with my brand new ki belt. My cert came later a really cool cert in Japanese and signed by our head master Okazaki. I think the ceremony is a fine thing but I have heard of some crazy ones, with silk belt trays and beating the student with their old belt lol to each their own I guess! OSU!!!

Would that be Master Okazaki from Philadelphia? If it is, that's who my CI received his first black belt from!

He has a direct lineage from Gichin Funakoshi.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

We have formal testing at all grades. If everyone passes they get told at the end of testing. If not they'll be told individually at some point in the following week. Belts are just presented at the end of their next class and they'll be called to the front and given their belt.

For blackbelts we have external examiners in so they'll usually announce the results after the exam. Belts are then ordered and a few weeks later my instructor will present them in class. For blackbelts he'll tie them round that students waist the first time.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Seido, people testing for Dan ranks wear a white belt for several weeks beforehand and during the test.

I love this idea. I was actually thinking about doing something like this if I ever start my own program, but I've never heard of anyone actually doing it.

The students testing for dan ranking don't just wear the white belts. They line up in class as white belts, they hand out the floor cleaning towels at the end of class, etc. My CI, who tested for 7th dan a few years ago decided to have a senior instructor teach class a few times so he could take class as a student. He was wearing his white belt (he also wore it when he taught class) for the amount of time required before his test, lined up at the beginners' end of the dojo, and did everything white belts do.

I'm not sure if 4th dans and up are referred to by their titles (4th dan is Sensei, 5th is Kyoshi, etc.) or not during this period. It would be odd to not call my CI by his title (Shuseki Shihan) even though he was wearing a white belt. This was before I joined.

There are pictures of Tadashi Nakamura's son wearing a white belt before he was awarded his father's 8th dan belt, so I guess no one's exempted from it.

For me/us all gradings' are a closed affair!

Its just the students being graded and the grading panel in attendance.

From 10th to 1st kyu!

The students grading can be graded at the club they train at.

Dan grades (1, 2 &3)

These are always done at summer camp, the 'national grading'.

When the 'test' is complete, the grading panel might announce who passed etc on the day, but more often than not the results are taken away and discussed in private by the panel and an announcement given at another date.

Awarded Ceremony.

Is a simple affair the students is called up and the new rank announced to the audience/dojo.

Example:

My 1st kyu was announced at the next training session at the end of the lesson, I was called to front facing the dojo and given a newly updated license!

My 1st Dan grading was announced on the last day of the national grading/summer camp.

I was called to the front and greeted by Hanshi who referred to me by my name and new title(rank) in front of all the whole 'summer camp' attendees, handing me my Shodan certificate and updated licence.

Back at the dojo, like my 1st kyu grading, I was called up to the front, this time at the start of the session, and handed a club (temporary) black belt to wear (whilst I wait for my personal belt to be made) and guided back to my new position in the line.

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

I've seen & done a few different styles of rank promotion. From very elaborate (w/ cakes, family & Ceremony) to simply being called up to the front of the class, asked to remove one's belt, a new belt given & class continues as if it were any other class day. I'm talking about BB level promotions with these two styles. The latter way was done for my 1st two BB ranks (at different schools). It was fine. Doing it that way seemed fitting. "Here's your new belt." "Thank you, sir." "Let's get back to work." Yes sir!"

In my current organization, BB promotion is a big deal. Family comes in, a receiving line of other BBs & masters in the org. & it's a huge event. I like that, too. Others get to see share in one's success in the moment (rather than after class). For an introvert like me, it can be a bit overwhelming, but I enjoy it, still.

I think its important for instructors to manage students' expectations about how they intend to award belts. By that, I mean letting students know what to expect with a BB rank promotion. Maybe not completely, but certainly "celebration or just another class" needs to be communicated by the instructor. I also think that it's important for instructors to gauge students' desire to celebrate them when they promote. It think it's especially important for younger students to have their instructors celebrate students' big benchmarks in rank. Even a reserved instructor that doesn't like parties, can have a party celebration in recognition of those testing.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Yeah, I, myself, have got an ill kick from the fact that while our Soke and Dai-Soke, and the entire student body, relegate away from rank importance, we'll still perform some serious ceremonies concerning rank promotions. To me, it's kind of like eating a gallon of ice cream while washing it down with a diet coke.

:roll:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've seen & done a few different styles of rank promotion. From very elaborate (w/ cakes, family & Ceremony) to simply being called up to the front of the class, asked to remove one's belt, a new belt given & class continues as if it were any other class day. I'm talking about BB level promotions with these two styles. The latter way was done for my 1st two BB ranks (at different schools). It was fine. Doing it that way seemed fitting. "Here's your new belt." "Thank you, sir." "Let's get back to work." Yes sir!"

yup, exactly how I have been, I guess the word is 'conditioned' to think about such things.

I truly do not mind, it is to me correct, no ego, no "tonight on X-factor!" ceremony, a humble experience!

In my current organization, BB promotion is a big deal. Family comes in, a receiving line of other BBs & masters in the org. & it's a huge event. I like that, too. Others get to see share in one's success in the moment (rather than after class). For an introvert like me, it can be a bit overwhelming, but I enjoy it, still.

I think its important for instructors to manage students' expectations about how they intend to award belts. By that, I mean letting students know what to expect with a BB rank promotion. Maybe not completely, but certainly "celebration or just another class" needs to be communicated by the instructor. I also think that it's important for instructors to gauge students' desire to celebrate them when they promote. It think it's especially important for younger students to have their instructors celebrate students' big benchmarks in rank. Even a reserved instructor that doesn't like parties, can have a party celebration in recognition of those testing.

... I get this as well, it is after all a massive step in anyone's life, its, what is it ..about 4-5 or more years of your life being stacked up and tested to see if you can put that HUGE neon sign around your waste, that black belt ... why not make a bit of a fuss?

... but thats the western world and its influence not a humbling and honor driven Japanese ceremony to present a student with there 'first grade' there 'Sho Dan' ...

Personnally I felt a little red faced when i was called up in fornt of a hall full of people many(most) of whom I'll never see again when I was awarded mine.

(Hence why I say/use the word 'conditioned'!)

:wink:

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

In the karate organization I was a part of testing was done at each grade. Yes, there was a ceremony that was short right after the test for kyu grades. For dan ranks it was a bit more formal. There were certificates for each rank.

In BJJ, we don't do tests, at least in my lineage. It's pretty informal as well. Stripes are awarded at typical classes, usually afterward. Belts are a touch bigger of a deal. Brown and Black belt usually is a more specific on when it's done.

Here's an example of one of our Brown Belt promotions at a seminar.