• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju-Ryu - 10th Kyu testing tomorrow! I am a very beginner

littlefoot

For me karate is one of those things where the longer you do it and the more you learn, the more you realise how bad you are and how much more you should be able to achieve.

Early on I took to setting myself small targets that way you can be happy with a little progress rather than beating yourself up for not being brilliant!

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...
I have been a white belt for two months. I am enjoying Goju-Ryu very much! There is a lot to absorb, I try my best.

The philosophy I entered Goju-Ryu with was that I would be an eternal student of something I appreciate and can dedicate myself toward as a person who is seeking out a personal journey. I want to be a part of a family, and that is what the dojo feels like. And that is the exact word my Sensei used when he said 'you're family now.'

Sensei says that I will advance as far as I choose, that my growth is entirely on my own shoulders. I took both comfort and a sense of responsibility from those words.

My 'but' here is that I do feel that there will be pressure to advance and be competent, won't there? Not a lot is expected of me as a white belt, but I am an anxious person in general, overly stressed, and I worry my head off that I will disappoint my Sensei. I look up to him more than any other person in my life.

Front kicking (Mae Geri) from Zenkutsu Dachi and landing back into stance is what I can't seem to nail. My body rises or moves along with my legs rather than staying still. I have a lot of balance issues.

Am I too perfectionistic? Is it okay to do poorly on some of the grading requirements? I am looking for some support. My Sensei is extremely supportive and attentive to any questions or concerns, but I have so much self doubt that I seem to need to ask you all here.

I have typed a lot, so thank you for reading this far. The jist of my post is: is it okay to be a poorly coordinated white belt, as long as I am giving it my best? Is it really okay?

So how it go?

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.