• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

American Kenpo Karate

guarddog

Does anyone here study/do this art?

It is my new interest and so far I like it a lot. I am not an anti-TKD however I like the fact that Kenpo has more arm work then leg work.

Being brand new to it I have everything to learn. Is this generally known as a more practical and respected art to know? Also if you are into this can you recommend any good sites I might enjoy visiting...

Thanks.

J.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm not studying the American variation... but I like it. I haven't been taught anything yet that isn't practical and efficient and effective. I don't have any websites bookmarked. You'd probably want to check out the Ed Parker site (I don't know the link... it's floating around here somewhere).

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

If you do a general search on the net American Kenpo, you'll get a lot of hits for the various organizations that teach AK. From there, you can see where all the affiliate schools are located.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I found a lot of information out there online. No idea why I did not search for it being I do for everything else.. ? But found lots and have been told good sites by some fellow classmates. But so far I am enjoying it greatly.

I think this club and art will keep me hooked on MA for good. Even thou I am new to this art, it is right down my ally, works with my work sched, and is teaching me what I feel is usful in a VERY friendly enviro.

J.

Guarddog I think you will enjoy this style. I do Shoalin Kempo which shares many premises. Why don't you post the sites that you found? Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I am new to this forum but, have been reading it with a lot of interest for a few weeks now. I think it's great!!!

Yes. I also train in Kenpo Karate and love it! :D I spent time in the TKD system (enjoyed it too!) but, for me and what I want out of Karate, Kenpo has hit all the bases. Being in the TKD system has definately helped me in Kenpo and have no regrets. My instructor is also a very talented Kickboxing trainer, so, I do Kenpo 4-5 days a week and Kickbox at night 2-3 nights a week and love it.

Karate is a lifestyle for me and is a life long commitment.

Keep the "Kicks & Punches" coming :D

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Kenpo - Brown

TKD - Advanced Green

Yep Kempo has a lot of stregths. Incorporated with a ground art you will be very well rounded. Cross Training has many benefits I think. Learn all you can from one style first however. That way it is easier to apply when you learn another.

After attending only a week of classes I am sure I will be a student of american kenpo for many many years.

Its also really cool because our club has 3 noon classes and 3-4 night classes. Working EVERY night of the week the noon classes have 3-5 students. I pay the same amt as night studnets and can get a lot more one on one instruction. Which is good because the night classes are about 15-20. so our noon class can move along faster, learn more new things, and practice what we learn more. :wink:

I am just happy about coming back into MA after about .5 - 1yr off doing them. I was in a KungFu class that studied a mix but mainly was a Phillipine style that did a lot of kicks and strikes.

I feel the Kenpo gives a good grounding in blocks, upper body strikes, and overall better rounded. Had to quit the kungfu though as it fell on my work nights and could not keep getting them off. :) But I think what I found should work for the long run.

J.

• 1 month later...
Yep Kempo has a lot of stregths. Incorporated with a ground art you will be very well rounded.

My school teaches grappling as part of the regular curriculum (I love it). The beauty is that it all flows together as oppossed to cross-training at another place. Do the other Kempo people do any ground work as part of their training?

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.