• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Man, That Bored Me To Death!!

Ever watch any MA demo targeting in the realm of self-defense? Ever be so unimpressed that you just walk out shaking your head in wonderment? Ever then watch same MA demo master engage in Kumite/Sparring, and they're no longer that dominate?

Well, so have I; more times than I care to remember.

Why?

Why the difference from the demo to the Kumite?

RESISTIVE VS NON-RESISTIVE TRAINING!! Non-resistive demos bore me to death!!

In Kumite: That's resistive! In demo's: That's non-resistive! In Kumite, your opponent isn't just standing there static while the "star" does as he/she pleases 2...3...4...5...wow techniques and you do nothing but submit. In demo's, the "star" is super-human and perform, and I do mean perform, an amazing plethora of techniques, thusly dominating the "victim".

How...unrealistic! How...demoralizing! How...ineffective! How...false! Building up self-confidence in one thing, but creating a false security that what they're demonstrating is effective.

Effectiveness can only be achieved with resistive training. Non-resistive training only harbors imaginative effectiveness. Yet, to their shock, they're not effective on the street; they're no longer the MA superman that the non-resistive training birthed.

That's why I'm so fortunate to have learned resistive training. Whereas, we train 90% resistive to learn how to be effective in our techniques! The other 10% of non-resistive training is to learn the techniques.

Our demo's are resistive. You attack me, I execute 1...2...3...techniques, however, you're resisting EVERYTHING I do.

Yeah, but how can I train resistively and not injure my partner? You can! In Shindokan, we're taught that to learn Shindokan one must experience Shindokan. Alas, some discomfort will occur. Listen, I don't have to use full force to manipulate you! Grab me, and I apply! Yet, that application isn't breaking your bones, but I've your undivided attention, and yes, for the moment, you're feeling quite uncomfortable.

I can do 2-steps on you in a resistive manner, and you'll know that I was there; you'll be uncomfortable, but not maimed. I've control, therefore, I decide the amount of force. In resistive training discomfort MUST be experienced.

Spank a child, they're uncomfortable, but they're not maimed or killed! Same thing in how we train resistively! You MUST EXPERIENCE Shindokan, otherwise, false securities creep us and become a standard.

When I trained a few years ago with bushido_man96/Brian, I told him that for him to understand Shindokan, he'd have to experience it first hand. He did on both grounds! To learn our brand of Tuite, you have to experience it to understand and believe in its effectiveness. Brian and I did some resistive training those days together over one weekend, and I believe that Brian appreciated our mindset towards resistive training.

Non-resistive training has its merits, but it's limited. Resistive training is limitless because not only do you learn more about the technique, but you learn a lot about yourself. How to react when something doesn't go as it's suppose to, is a learning model for all; both the attacker and the defender!!

Sure, do the non-resistive demo to show what "it" looks like, but then, right after, do the same demo resistively, and see the big difference unfold before your eyes.

Next time you're doing 1...2...3 step sparring, throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing, and see what you see. I pretty much guarantee that you'll open up a new avenue that you hadn't expected.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I do recall those training sessions, and I agree that training in a resistive manner is very important for understanding the limits of a technique.

Demos are just that, demonstrations, and most f them are designed to catch the eye and gain the attention of the lay person, to draw them in and get them to sign up. They are, almost always, a form of advertisement.

I do recall those training sessions, and I agree that training in a resistive manner is very important for understanding the limits of a technique.

Demos are just that, demonstrations, and most f them are designed to catch the eye and gain the attention of the lay person, to draw them in and get them to sign up. They are, almost always, a form of advertisement.

I agree with the bold type above; being eye catching, at least. I've trained so long in resistive training that any other method bores me to tears. This is my shortcoming, I suppose!!

I was watching some Tiger Rock videos and I was appalled at what I saw. One of their 9th Dans struggled to execute their 9th Dan form: unbalanced kicks, jerky movements, spinning kicks that were knee to waist high...their suppose to be TKD core. All breaks were with a 1-inch board, even for the High Dan ranks...below expectations in my opinion.

They defined what drives me crazy. Do a demo....dominating against said attacker...then when that same dominator spars, they're not the same...they're the one being dominated...and these again, are High Dan ranks. Now, they do have a 7th Dan that was pretty good all around, and with that, I can only hope there are more like him!!

I've done my share of non-resistive demo's. Yet, nowadays, I won't do them because they, well, bore me to death!! I'll leave those demos with someone else in Shindokan!!

When teaching techniques, we'll teach the nomenclature of the entire technique, and then, we'll turn the tables by having the student resist or we'll resist the student. Then their learning curve peaks up. Our students know that their attacker will be quite proactive in their attacks, and at times, a give and take emerges.

Actually unlike many martial arts schools I do NOT do one steps until after black belt. In 2nd Dan we apply the same focus that would normally be to the forms/kata/hyung, to one steps. We do this to set up for 3rd Dan which is pretty much self defense and the like. One steps are great imho but only if you take them for what they are worth, here's my perception on them.

One steps are self-defense techniques with training wheels. Compare it to riding a bike, if you learn to ride with training wheels on it DOES help you prepare for riding, BUT only if at some point you actually practice riding. Non-resistive training is imperative training because it's very difficult to teach students under duress therefore full resistance training in my opinion, is better introduced after you go over the movements and get the student comfortable with their positioning and the techniques.

So in essence I'm saying agree with you, I'm just pointing out that starting with the training wheels is absolutely recommended in my opinion, but if you never go beyond that and you are really good at writing a bike with training wheels, and if the streets are a bmx competition all I can say is good luck!!!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Actually unlike many martial arts schools I do NOT do one steps until after black belt. In 2nd Dan we apply the same focus that would normally be to the forms/kata/hyung, to one steps. We do this to set up for 3rd Dan which is pretty much self defense and the like. One steps are great imho but only if you take them for what they are worth, here's my perception on them.

One steps are self-defense techniques with training wheels. Compare it to riding a bike, if you learn to ride with training wheels on it DOES help you prepare for riding, BUT only if at some point you actually practice riding. Non-resistive training is imperative training because it's very difficult to teach students under duress therefore full resistance training in my opinion, is better introduced after you go over the movements and get the student comfortable with their positioning and the techniques.

So in essence I'm saying agree with you, I'm just pointing out that starting with the training wheels is absolutely recommended in my opinion, but if you never go beyond that and you are really good at writing a bike with training wheels, and if the streets are a bmx competition all I can say is good luck!!!

Solid post!!