• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Parent On The Floor!!

Perhaps a stupid question...

If you teach your parent, do you call them mom or dad during class? Do they refer to you by your title? I asked a priest if his parents call him father. He laughed and shook his head no, saying "they've got some interesting names to call me, but father isn't one of them."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you teach your parent, do you call them mom or dad during class? Do they refer to you by your title? I asked a priest if his parents call him father. He laughed and shook his head no, saying "they've got some interesting names to call me, but father isn't one of them."

I never, ever required my mother to call me "sir" or Mr. Walker. Out of habit, she usually called my by my first name, but she did call me Mr. Walker from time to time, to try to keep some continuity in the class. But I never required it, and if she called me by name, she had every right to; after all, she gave it to me. :)

On the flip side, I usually ended up referring to her as mom in class.

That's an excellent question, JR 137!!

If I had had the opportunity to teach my mom and/or dad, I'd call them mom or dad because that's what they are to me...mom or dad. And I'd not fault them if they called me Bob or son, because that's what I am to them...Bob or son.

Shoot, I hate being called anything but "Bob" while at the dojo or at the Hombu. Formal names are required during certain times at the Hombu. But, still, I'd not chastise anyone, including my mom or dad for violating protocol, especially if it was an innocent mistake. Do it on purpose, well, you'll be reminded in a respectful manner.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I never, ever required my mother to call me "sir" or Mr. Walker. Out of habit, she usually called my by my first name, but she did call me Mr. Walker from time to time, to try to keep some continuity in the class. But I never required it, and if she called me by name, she had every right to; after all, she gave it to me. :)

On the flip side, I usually ended up referring to her as mom in class.

In my organization, it's written many places in our material for students, "You may not call BBs or your instructors by their 1st names, even if you are related." This is an in the dojang kind of thing, but it is important to how the org is run.

Heck, neither Sr. GM Edward Sell nor Sr. GM Brenda Sell have EVER called me by my 1st name. I came into the organization as a 2nd Dan 10 years ago. In every conversation, inside or outside of class, casual or formal, they always address me by my title. As their student, I'm aware of my place & address them by their titles, always. But as their student, I actually wish either of them called me by my 1st name out of class. Their formality with me, their student, makes me feel at arm's length from them.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I'm going to be both of my daughters' teacher in a few years (school teacher, not MA). I'm not sure if I'll have them address me as dad or Mr. B in class. Sounds stupid, and I've got 4 years before my oldest will be in my classroom, but it's something I think now and then. They'll each be in my class for grade 5-8 Science, which is 4 years.

I'm their father and always will be, even while teaching; but I also want to separate a bit too, as in hold them to the same standards as everyone else and not be harder or easier on them than anyone else. Speaking to colleagues, some have had them call them mom/dad, others haven't. There's really no right or wrong, so long as the intent is pure.