• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Water Heavy Bag in the Winter

neoravencroft

I'll be getting a new home soon that actually has the room for me to start up my own area for MA as well as a small gym. I was thinking about getting a water filled heavy bag for bag training. However, the gym is going to be located in the garage and it gets no heat. I'm from Michigan and if anyone is from the US here, our winters get weird.

So my question is: do you think the shell of the bag would provide enough insulation for the water bag to keep from freezing?

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know this is going to sound dumb, even as I'm typing this...it sounds dumb to me, but I'd pour in a gallon of Anti-Freeze, that same type that is put into car radiators.

Also, a space heater would help keep the garage warm, if it's insulated properly. Beside the Wavemater being warm, so would you, too, be warm; training in the cold is great...if you're a polar bear.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I know this is going to sound dumb, even as I'm typing this...it sounds dumb to me, but I'd pour in a gallon of Anti-Freeze, that same type that is put into car radiators.

Also, a space heater would help keep the garage warm, if it's insulated properly. Beside the Wavemater being warm, so would you, too, be warm; training in the cold is great...if you're a polar bear.

It helped Rocky beat Ivan Drago.

I was going to suggest anti-freeze or even some rock salt too. But I think they'll probably ruin the lining of the bag. I wouldn't risk it. If you get a rag filled bag, you won't have to worry about it.

Furthermore, no one I know was happy with a water filled bag long-term. They start leaking after a while. My old sensei had one for about 3 months. He threw an inside-out crescent kick at it that made it fold in half around his foot, then the bottom fell right off of it, along with however many gallons of water on the floor.

Then again, nothing lasts forever.

I do agree that a hanging bag will last much longer than a Wavemaster. A garage should offer some area that you can safely hang one from, and I think you'd be much more pleased with a hanging bag.

I do agree that a hanging bag will last much longer than a Wavemaster. A garage should offer some area that you can safely hang one from, and I think you'd be much more pleased with a hanging bag.

Well the bag I was referring to is a hanging bag just filled with water. I'll provide a link:

http://www.titleboxing.com/punching-bags/water-unfilled-heavy-bags/title-liquishock-thai-foam-water-hvy-bag

Well the bag I was referring to is a hanging bag just filled with water. I'll provide a link:

http://www.titleboxing.com/punching-bags/water-unfilled-heavy-bags/title-liquishock-thai-foam-water-hvy-bag

Nice!!

Being that that bag's $300, I'd not risk it either: subjecting it to Michigan winters. However, help me understand something, being I'm not from Michigan.

Just how cold will it get to INSIDE of the garage? Isn't the garage insulated at all?

The bag in question has some pretty nice insulation of its own, but I don't know if it'll be enough to battle the winter's there. It's not like the bags going to be in the direct elements, with the way garages are made.

You could wrap some blankets around it to protect it, as well. When I lived in Oklahoma, I'd put blankets over the battery to protect it, and if it was going to be really cold, I'd bring the battery in the house. Same principle, I suppose, and that might be a hassle to bring the bag in the warmth, but to protect your investment, I'd make an exception.

Make sure you smile when you ask your wife if you can bring the bag inside of the house. :P

Most garages in Michigan aren't insulated well in order to cut costs. It's enough to battle the elements and just warm enough for frost to not develop in the inside. It still gets pretty cold though.

As for bringing it into the house, I could just empty the bag every time I were to bring it into the house, but that seems to be quite the hassle IMO.

One could always fill a Wavemaster with sand, instead of water. I don't know if anti-freeze or rock salt would degrade the integrity of the bladder inside the water bag. But, my thinking is that it would. But it's not my area of expertise.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

One could always fill a Wavemaster with sand, instead of water. I don't know if anti-freeze or rock salt would degrade the integrity of the bladder inside the water bag. But, my thinking is that it would. But it's not my area of expertise.

I'd not fill it all the way with sand because if it gets that cold, then the base might crack on way or another.

Would you be apposed to bringing the Wavemaster inside of the house, if there's room and your wife won't object?!?

Cause, it would be a hassle to empty and fill the bag every time you want to work out...I sure wouldn't. Do you have a way to hang a regular heavy bag? If so, I'd go that route because it won't require water or sand or rock salt; just a strong beam to hang from.