• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate - The Original MMA

Wastelander

My friend, Michael Nguyen, put together this great video comparing karate techniques and kata movements with MMA techniques, to showcase a side of karate that most people aren't aware of. As someone who regularly points out these connections, and has even used many of these examples to do so, I can really appreciate it! I thought it was a very cool video, and thought that some folks here might like it, as well.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly appreciated the content/context deeply!! Thanks for sharing the video, Noah!! Thank you, Michael Nguyen, for making said video!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

EXCELLENT!!! There were a couple of the old black and white vid's of OSensei Soken Hohan (my particular linage) in there but went by so fast!!! lol

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

There are a couple of examples of what I generally call "stretching the logic" when it comes to devising applications, and what can actually be derived from kata. However, it is a well devised video, and does demonstrate in a broad sense the fundamental truth of martial arts. The human body has not radically changed in design since the birth of martial arts; what has worked in the past has a place in the present, and the future.

R. Keith Williams

I so SO love that video.

Very well put together the relationships between modern and old is brilliant!

Very nice!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 3 weeks later...