• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What has martial arts taught you????

I have also learned to NOT to say "I can't!" anymore ....

RIGHT.

When I started karate i couldn't do MANY things. Was out of shape, although one couldn't see that because I'm thin and have got a perfect abdomen :) Well the truth was I couldn't run too much, I was sedentary and miserable, of course.

When starting this training I was confronted with that I CAN'T DO THIS ... THAT and so on.

Karate taught me to TRY. It's the first step. try hard try many times and you'll make it.

That I try to use in real life too. It works :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the same way. Except I was overweight and outta shape LOL. I used to watch people doing jumping, spinning, ect kind of kicks, and I was like .... "Me? Do that?!?!?!?! Yea right!" My TSD teacher had a way of getting me "fired up" about trying something, specially when I said the word "can't". That was a bad word to him.

Laurie F

Kensai and KK75 thanks

That is the first thing I teach my class. You can never let words and name calling get to you. 90% of all fights start because someone was talking about someone else. Like I said Sticks and Stones.

Or as they say in Science. Mind over matter. If I don't mind it don't matter. Because I know the truth and that is all that should matter. If my friends want to think something else then they are not my friends.

Again my mind has never missed a block I wish I could say the same for my hands and feet.

Bowing back....

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

lol G95, I can agree to that.

A strong mind equals a strong body, or one that is well coordinated. If you have a well coordinated body and good balance, then you have power and speed that can be applied to a "unpleasant" situation.

Take Care.

• 2 weeks later...
My TSD teacher had a way of getting me "fired up" about trying something, specially when I said the word "can't". That was a bad word to him.

I've noticed they have something against this "I can't", maybe because many tend to avoid working out or taking MA seriously by hiding behind these words. Unfortunatelly for those lazy lads, the instructors know what is all about.

ramymensa, you are right. Thanks to my TSD instructor, I CAN do those high flying fancy kicks :D I thought I could never learn pyung ahn ee dan (you know it as hiein nidan), but again, he said "you can do it if you try." Now it's still my favorite form to this day (and I do TKD now). He was like a big brother to me. I do visit him (and work out) when I visit home (NJ).

Laurie F