• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What has martial arts taught you????

I saw this on another forum. I thought this was a good subject to try here.

I'll start: The most important thing I learned so far, is not physical abilities, but mental ones. Martial arts has changed my charater. I used to be this shy, scared kid, with no respect for myself let alone others, no confidence or self esteem. If you read my posts on this board, you'll see how much I have changed. Now I have more confidence, self esteem, even respect for my fellow human beings (and other arts). It's been a very humbling experience for me so far, and I haven't even reached black belt! I have also learned to be more open-minded when it comes to other arts.

I'm just a lowly green belt, but you know what? I'm proud of what I have learned so far, and I give all the credit to my instructors and fellow students from both dojangs and my buds here :)

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

martial arts has taught increased my mental concentration and mental endurance. The biggest aspect i've learned from martial arts is precision, accuracy, and detail. Because attention to detail in forms/patterns are important, I've learned to be very observant and sensitive to detail in my everyday life.

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

Martial Arts has taught me...

To be kind, honest, humble, respect the elder and all of God's creatures... YEAH RIGHT!

Martial arts has taught me how to be effective at kicking butt! :lol:

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Among many things -

1. To never quit no matter how tired, defeated, or outclassed I feel.

2. To judge people by what they do not what they say or look like.

I have encoutered many friendly, selfdeprecating, shy, physically unintimidating people who are extremely gifted fighters. I have also met some loud aggressive muscle headed tattooed Road Warrior wannabes who can't strike or grapple their way out of a paper bag.

Just the tip of iceberg.

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

If you read my posts on this board, you'll see how much I have changed. ....I have also learned to be more open-minded when it comes to other arts.....I give all the credit to my instructors and fellow students from both dojangs and my buds here :)

:nod: :up: DITTO! Same can be said for me Laur! ... and I am just a lowly black belt!

I have also learned to NOT to say "I can't!" anymore ....

Sticks and Stones.

I live by this I teach this and it kills me to see people get mad over name calling.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."