• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate Throws and Judo Throws: a comparison

This video went through my Facebook feed the other day, and I thought it was an interesting commentary from Iain Abernethy in regards to the difference in Karate and Judo throwing, specifically, the difference in throwing for competition or self-defense.

What do you think? I know not everyone gets on board with Abernethy's approach to bunkai, but I think this discussion is less about deriving applications from kata, and more about the environment these throws are applied in.

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Context. It is something lacking in a lot of technical discussions in martial arts and I think that is exactly what Mr. Abernethy was getting at in that video.

We tend to get caught up in doing what we do, the way we've done it without regard to the why something is done or how it might need to be changed.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Context. It is something lacking in a lot of technical discussions in martial arts and I think that is exactly what Mr. Abernethy was getting at in that video.

We tend to get caught up in doing what we do, the way we've done it without regard to the why something is done or how it might need to be changed.

Solid post!!

I also have always seen that the difference in Judo throws from Karate throws is that Judoka's remain with the opponent while the Karateka's remain upright for a follow/finish technique.

Which ones correct? Both! Different ideas bring different models which also bring different desires based on what's to be achieved.

Also, Mr. Abernathy's Bunkai is what it is, I don't like it and I don't hate it either. Why? Oyo Bunkai allows ME, and me alone to discover the different avenues while on my own MA journey. To not follow someone else's ideology, but to discern on my own what they're a proponent of...discard or accept as my Oyo discovers.

Good topic, Brian; thanks for it!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks for the replies, guys. Its good to see the differences, and to then discuss the reasons for the differences.

I get to see a lot of this in Wrestling, too, in how the moves are used to score points or get a pin, as opposed to staying standing and gaining control from that position.

• 2 weeks later...
My karate teacher would always say "Don't worry, it's all in there". There is no style, only techinique.

8)

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!