• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wanting to open a dojo

Thanks for the responses guys. In the end I guess the statement is true that I should cover the electric with 5 or 6 students so why worry, just new to worrying about it that's all.

I do feel I lucked out on the deal. I didn't negotiate that hard actually, me being tentative for the last 6 months and just not jumping on it has made them make me better offers really. I would say things like "I don't have a student base in this area so iLloyd have to think about it" and they would come back at me with "what if we gave you a few free months to get you started". Seems like I have some good things sweetening the pot though for sure. From the sign to the rent, even the check they are cutting me to fix it up and allowing me to use the portion needed for mats.

I have decided I'm going to go for it for sure, I'll be signing the lease this week. Won't open until April for a few reasons but it allows to to get certain Affairs in order. I am still working on how I'm going to be in 2 locations at one time, but I have some ideas about things like hiring anot instructor for my location in the rec center. I have also thought about leasing my new dojo out 2 days a week to something like a jujitsu instructor while I run my rec center location, I just don't know yet but I want it bad enough so finding the right answer will come one way or another.

Chil, I would certainly recommend starting in a rec center as I have done that for the last year now. It's essentially risk free. The problem for me is as my full time job, teaching martial arts, its only 2 days a week at the rec center. Makes it very difficult to make a living only 2 days a week. I have poured so much energy into trying to find another location over the last year that I feel it's time for me to open on my own. If you are starting out its much more realistic to go for the rec center, but as I mentioned they are very hard to come by in the Phoenix area at least, due to the overabundance of martial arts programs already in place. Good luck whatever you do though.

To the bold type above...

Welcome to owning a business; worrying is to be expected!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really happy today, I signed the lease to my second location!!! Open April 1st. Give me some time to fix the place up and prepare, stay the course and things seem to work out... Love it!

Well, that's real cool!! You've got my support!! Wastelander lives in Phoenix; maybe you two can meet one another one day to train.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Really happy today, I signed the lease to my second location!!! Open April 1st. Give me some time to fix the place up and prepare, stay the course and things seem to work out... Love it!

Congratulations Lex! April will be here sooner than you know it. As you said, prepare and stay the course. Some pics before, during, and after pics would be great too.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Sense8, I am Familiar with him being in town, he's on the other side of town a good hour away but nonetheless it is pretty cool. One time I went to a new martial art supply store because I ordered the wrong belt online, I happened to see a flyer placed there by wastelanders sensie. I literally recognized the name from him posting a video on some drills and I left and kept saying I know who that guy is but couldn't place the name, and I realized and couldn't believe it was from the karate forums haha, crazy. Thanks for the support.

It 137, thanks as well, sure I'll post some pics! I have never been shy about posting a few here and there so I'll see what I can do, the place needs work, The previous martial arts place at Mears all the way around and took them down, when they did that pretty much destroyed the paint, it's also not the biggest place but it's a good starter place for sure.

Now, just have to figure out how to be into places at one time so I can keep two locations Hahaha, crap!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an inside pic. Needs some paint and some cleaning up. Last karate place had mirrors so that's something the walls regret lol. Thinking of going similar colors... We'll see.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-PCX28UD1IyU/Vo_yZtd-p_I/AAAAAAABCxI/PG2Uvgy5ea4/s1024-no/IMG_0552.JPG

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!