• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preventing Side Control

This week was all about stopping and escaping from side control. In our recap, we talk about two concepts, pressure and angles. The same things we talked about last week while passing the guard, and how they related to escaping negative positions at the earliest stage possible. Take a look:

Who else uses similar tactics from the bottom? Is there any particular pass or side control variation that is particularly problematic for other members of the community? Can you use this concept in that situation? What other preventative measures do members take?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Control?!?!?! Prevent?!?!?!?!

I've never liked those terms because, imho, they're limited in its duration, and then some!! Why? My opponent will resist to their last breath, as will I!

However, we are encouraged to STALL movements, like you did in the video. You stalled by dropping as you did, and you caused change in your opponents intent at the same time. Thusly, you ended up on the win.

You move in, I move out. You move in, I move in. All of these simplistic movements stall transitions and the like. Intercepting my opponents movements AND intent, therefore, not allowing, to the best of my abilities, completion of movement.

That's what you did, and did quite well.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I like the concepts you show there. I really haven't seen much of anything like that. Hopefully, I can retain some of it and try to work on it.

I like the concepts you show there. I really haven't seen much of anything like that. Hopefully, I can retain some of it and try to work on it.

Cool! Let me know how it's going as you use it. Let me know if you have questions.