• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you position your front foot when you spar?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be different, my front foot (usually my left, but I chop and change quite a lot) points in around 30 degrees from a line towards my opponent...

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

I generally use option A most of the time. I keep the front foot pointing foward (its easier on my knees :D ). I am not square with my opponent, I keep my stance high leaning foward or back depending on the attack or defense. I do not keep my rear leg facing foward I shift it according to attack or defense its usually moving from 45-90 degrees. Im more of a counter puncher.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I find a full facing, sitting stance to be most effective. :o yeah, right, I'd get knocked on by butt... :bawling:

I dance around a lot between a and c, never use b, I find it ineffective for quickly launching anything off the front leg except a sidekick or inside swing kick (crescent kick to many of you i guess), and it limits the options and power for the rear leg. I dislike the cat-stance myself, it's tough to zip backwards quick.

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
First Of all you need to get used to sparring,With your right & left side. & Fight in a kibe dachi/horse stance,ALso known as a ready stance,The feet should be shoulder width. Or In a seisanstance/Sho zenkutsu dachi,The feet should be IN a 45 degree angle.But Never keep your front ft pointing toward your opponett,& make sure your KNees are bent. PS I AM A Sandan in ISSHINRYU KARATE.

First Of all you need to get used to sparring,With your right & left side. & Fight in a kibA dachi/horse stance,ALso known as a ready stance,The feet should be shoulder width. Or In a seisanstance/Sho zenkutsu dachi,The feet should be IN a 45 degree angle.But Never keep your front ft pointing toward your opponett,& make sure your KNees are bent. PS I AM A Sandan in ISSHINRYU KARATE. & NOTHING WORKS BETTER THAN ISSHINRYU KARATE