• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata or Kumite?

Shotokannon

The question only makes sense if you view kata and kumite as two separate disciplines... Which they are not.

Sure if we are talking competition then ok, if that is your thing, as in that case kata is a performance "dance" and kumite is a ritualised duel set within in a narrow rules base.

However for the more pragmatic types out there kata and kumite are completely intertwined. If you say you are better at kata than kumite then you've kind of missed the point. Kata and the associated drilling of techniques are directly relevant and applicable to kumite.

Tom Runge

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The question only makes sense if you view kata and kumite as two separate disciplines... Which they are not.

Sure if we are talking competition then ok, if that is your thing, as in that case kata is a performance "dance" and kumite is a ritualised duel set within in a narrow rules base.

However for the more pragmatic types out there kata and kumite are completely intertwined. If you say you are better at kata than kumite then you've kind of missed the point. Kata and the associated drilling of techniques are directly relevant and applicable to kumite.

I agree...can't have one without the other, imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Kata kihon kumite

For the tech geek types out there look at it like ohms law ...

:wink: :brow:

..V

I x R

To find the amps or volts of a circuit cover the thing you want and do the math!!

Kata

kihon Kumite

If one of these is weak, put your finger over that one and focus on the other two, in time the covered one becomes better!!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Kata kihon kumite

..V

I x R

To find the amps or volts of a circuit cover the thing you want and do the math!!

Kata

kihon Kumite

If one of these is weak, put your finger over that one and focus on the other two, in time the covered one becomes better!!

To the bold type above...

Shouldn't it read...

Kihon

Kata Kumite

Can't learn Kata without first learning the Kihon and so forth. Having said that, I'm not a math wiz, quite stupid with math, but shouldn't Kihon at the top of this pyramid looking thingy.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Kata kihon kumite

..V

I x R

Kata

kihon Kumite

Actually, based on that formula the better at kumite you are the worst your kihon is...

Welcome to pedants corner... :-)

Tom Runge

hehehe...

I was in a chat the other day and some one split a point ... the reply was... interesting one I'd never heard before, but with all the geek'ness and so on here..why not!?!?

The reply was:

"Seriously! Oppenheimer couldn't split that!"

:P :lol:

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.