• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd probably choose Shotokan, mainly because it's a Japanese style, and I'm of Japanese descent. The cultural aspect of training would likely align with my heritage more than would Tang Soo Do. Plus, I'm short and stocky with short legs, so my body type isn't ideal for a kicking style. And, in general, Shotokan is more uniform and has stronger national and international organizations. I'm not sure why I value this, but I do.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

honestly a lot of it has to do with availability but as I train shotokan now I can say I love the kata and the style of movement. nothing against TSD I have a good buddy who is a phenom but i like the more rooted movements found in shotokan. OSU!

• 3 weeks later...

As one person said it is the Instructor that makes it. Both styles with right instructor is great. I would visit each school and observe a few classes, the decided which is more of a fit for what you want.

• 2 months later...

Try each club for a month or two. A few months for most martial artists is no time at all.

No one expects a life time commitment from you.

Test the waters out and see if you can go with the flow with the teacher/instructor, fellow students and the style.

With a little time and practice with each club your experience with them will give you the answer that you are looking for.

• 1 month later...
Tang soo do or Shotokan which would you pick to train and why?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't Tang Soo Do basically Shotokan? I seem to remember back when I was young that the local Tang Soo Do instructor told me that it came from Shotokan after I questioned him about the Kata's being the same as Shorin Ryu Kata's. Things may have changed.

Ultimately you should choose which ever art appeals to you and will fulfill your individual needs.

My suggestion is sit in on at least three classes and ask as many questions as you need to of the instructor. This will often times make up your mind for you.

Good luck in your journey.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

Tang soo do or Shotokan which would you pick to train and why?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but isn't Tang Soo Do basically Shotokan?

It does come from Shotokan, but it isn't the same as Shotokan. There are a lot of similarities, but there are differences as well.