• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can I respect your school?

Is it ok to transfer rank in a diffefent style  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to transfer rank in a diffefent style

• Yes, its ok
    • No, its not ok

To be honest, I wouldn't want to keep my rank starting at a new school. When I was serving with AmeriCorps I tried a TKD dojo for about a month. At first I wore a white belt, but then they insisted I wear my (at the time) green belt from Isshinryu.

I didn't like it. People started expecting me to know things in TKD that I didn't know, I felt like people were always judging me to see if I "deserved" a green belt, it messed up the pecking order of the class a bit, and I didn't get that feeling of "working my way up" that helps structure those beginning steps into a new martial art.

Really the only benefit I saw to it was in partner work where it told people they could go just a little bit harder with me and served as a reminder to me that I wasn't a normal beginner (when I was wearing a white belt I found myself going too hard with the yellow belts because they were higher than me. It was harder to keep in mind they had only been doing martial arts for a few months while I had several years experience).

Excellent points. Regarding partner work...

It becomes very obvious who's who once you start sparring. I went into my current dojo as a white belt, and everyone knew I had studied before once we got going. In the locker room, few of them asked me where I studied and for how long. Walking out, 2 others asked, saying "you don't move like a white belt." After a few months, one of the yondans swept me during sparring, saying "I don't treat you like a yellow belt because you don't fight like one."

Not to pat myself on the back by any means; others have walked in and I could easily tell they've had previous experience too. "The proof is on the floor" meaning the color of the belt doesn't mean much.

I agree about the sparring/partner work that "the proof is on the floor"! Sensie8 it really fits don't sue me lol.

The being "swept by another student". We have a rule and iys that no sweeps are allowed unless you are a black belt and you must sweep a black belt. Part of this is because we are not on mats, we are on a gym floor, so sweeping should be done with some experience. Has it been coming for you at places you have trained to sweep one another? Just curious.

Bushido pointed it out that in sparring it matters and will really show. I personally never got into much sport aspect of my training, so.times I wish I had but just never been my thing. Last time I was at a tournament I was there because my wife was competing :idea:

To be honest, I'm not sure about the sweeping rule during sparring. Pretty sure it's for black belts to do to other black belts. The rule I do know is don't throw anything you haven't been taught to do, and don't throw anything you can't fully control. I haven't seen any kyu grades get swept outside of prearranged 1 step sparring (we call them self defenses) where sweeping is part of it.

The 4th dan who swept me sweeps a lot of black belts. You'd never know it from looking at him either. He's been in an accident and has pretty much permanently lost a lot of motion in his back and knees. He's so good at it, he sweeps like its his job. I think I'll start calling him the custodian lol.

I threw a kick, and before I touched down, he grabbed my shoulder and swept my plant foot out from under me. I had that look on my face that everyone who sees it for the first time thinks I'm mad at them. In the locker room he said "sorry if I ticked you off when I swept you. I don't spar against you like a yellow belt because you don't fight like a yellow belt." I laughed and said "I was mad at myself for getting swept; do it every time if you want to." Another 4th dan laughed and said "careful what you wish for; he can sweep anyone at any given moment!"

Forgot... We don't have mats either. Hardwood floors. Our CI's logic is mats teach you you don't have to fall 100% properly. In intermediate self defenses, we do a ton of sweeping. If I can find a video of it, I'll post it; they're standardized in the Seido curriculum.

Sounds like Chug Le; he could throw you at will! Sounds like Bill Wallace; he could roundhouse kick you at will!!

Isn't the MA just peachy!??!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letting go of previous experience can be very difficult to accept, but in the end it is the wisest choice when attempting to learn a new system. Harder still when it is the same system or something very similar. "Forgetting" a belt harder the "higher" it is.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I voted no, which I accept is a little stark/cold to me to be perfectly honest.

Likewise, I could not in good honest and open faith say be a grade and walk into a different dojo (discipline) and suddenly be the highest rank or a senior rank (possibly the only one that is not a teacher) and be able to teach and represent the system and Ryu you just walked into.

there is a certain amount of respect demanded by humility that needs to be given just because its the civil and polite thing to do.

For example, in our dojo we have some guys form Tang-Soo-Do work with us, they wear the grade they earned in there dojo. Which means they wear there blackbelts. (dark blue)

We want them to wear the grade, they earned them, they worked for them and clearly they have the right to wear them!

They are respected for the grades they are, but they have no say in the way the dojo is run, nor do they attend any meetings we hold.

Likewise when we visit them we are shown respect for the same reasons and likewise we have no say in the way they run there dojo nor do we attend there meetings.

To take the example to extremes,be a shodan, nidan san dan in Judo.

now walk into a Shotokan school, and out rank the head instructor .... do you dislodge them and teach shotokan karate with all your judo skills?

Clearly not, you are respected for your rank, but will be placed along side the students and taught like any other student how to fight the Shotokan way!

So can you take your grade to another school?

Yes. There honor should afford you the respect humility demands you are shown.

can you stand up as the senior grade when you are there?

No. Humility/honour demands you show the same level respect!

I have an experience based off this. I went to an "invite-a-friend" night to a class in a style the instructor called "3-in-1," where they practiced TKD, HKD, and BJJ mixed together. When I got there and spoke with the instructor, he insisted I wear my rank (I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th dan at the time) and line up at the head of the class. I did so, but was rather reluctant to. I did appreciate the recognition of rank and the respect he showed me, but it was a bit uncomfortable. If I would have been showing up just for an open workout together or something of that nature, then it would have been cool. But to come to a class I was invited to, and line up in front of those who were his students, was an odd feeling.

Letting go of previous experience can be very difficult to accept, but in the end it is the wisest choice when attempting to learn a new system. Harder still when it is the same system or something very similar. "Forgetting" a belt harder the "higher" it is.

Solid post!!

:)

This is a good point, but I think its important to not let go of that experience. After all, its valuable and hard won. But setting it aside so as to have an open mind during the class is the hard part.

I have an experience based off this. I went to an "invite-a-friend" night to a class in a style the instructor called "3-in-1," where they practiced TKD, HKD, and BJJ mixed together. When I got there and spoke with the instructor, he insisted I wear my rank (I can't remember if it was 3rd or 4th dan at the time) and line up at the head of the class. I did so, but was rather reluctant to. I did appreciate the recognition of rank and the respect he showed me, but it was a bit uncomfortable. If I would have been showing up just for an open workout together or something of that nature, then it would have been cool. But to come to a class I was invited to, and line up in front of those who were his students, was an odd feeling.

I hear you!

When I returned to Kyokushin I felt awkward about turning up and so my first visit had me in jeans and a tee to watch and chat with the senior grades about my past and what I looking to do and achieve if I was to start up again!

Dunno what to call it , I guess a sense of honour or humility but I felt strongly about doing the right thing and not offending anyone.

So asked if they had a white belt I could have and wear, which had them ask why if I was 'coming back' then I clearly was not a beginner, so I filled in the gaps about my past and was asked that I wear my 'brown belt!'

in short it was deemed unfair to me as well as the others to stand up as a 'white belt' with all my years of

I turned up and was directed to stand at the lowest end of the brown belt line up! It felt odd to be sure and for ages I struggled with the idea of being in the line up in that spot.

So I was more than happy when I was offered the chance to regrade to 1st kyu, it made it right!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.