• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is body hardening a lost practice?

It certainly seems that such training is not a staple of martial arts as it once was. Nowadays it appears to be limited to a few older instructors who are among the last generation to have learned it. Often times these martial artist are regarded as old-fashioned.

I agree. Seems that the landscape has been altered over quick results, no matter the quality of those results, it's for the quantity instead.

Imho!!

:)

Why learn and try to perfect one kata, when you can learn the movements of 10 kata :lol:

Why exercise and change your diet to reduce blood pressure when you can take a pill for it :brow:

Note: I'm not stupid enough to believe that exercise and diet alone are enough for every single person.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly seems that such training is not a staple of martial arts as it once was. Nowadays it appears to be limited to a few older instructors who are among the last generation to have learned it. Often times these martial artist are regarded as old-fashioned.

I agree. Seems that the landscape has been altered over quick results, no matter the quality of those results, it's for the quantity instead.

Imho!!

:)

Why learn and try to perfect one kata, when you can learn the movements of 10 kata :lol:

Why exercise and change your diet to reduce blood pressure when you can take a pill for it :brow:

Note: I'm not stupid enough to believe that exercise and diet alone are enough for every single person.

No, but it is the over all additude of "I want it now" that prevails in today's world.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Old school Korean hand conditioning with GM Hee IL CHO.

My first master was a proponent of this kind of training. His knuckles were very calloused from hitting a Gwon Go (Korean for makiwara). I followed suit when I was a teen. I went on to box (beginning in my 20's). Because of mild cerebral palsy, I only have fine motor skill ability in my left hand. Now in my later 40's, I have the beginnings of arthritis & carpal tunnel in my left hand. I stopped doing the toughening drills about 30 years ago, because I realized I needed to save my hands as much as I could. For me, the damage outweighed the benefit that I might receive.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 8 months later...

In the 1970's it was not uncommon to know of 'punch drunk' boxers' They were just hit in the head too many times.

An unexpected punch to the stomach can still kill a professional fighter. Even if they are conditioned to take punches. This is how Houdini died.

As an older martial artist, I keep up with the tuffer is better principles. Doesn't make me invincible. Just gives me a few more seconds to endure punishment and return the favor with 'Instant karma'

• 1 month later...
I think generally speaking people are wimps these days. The avg guy with a labour job from years gone by were more hard core than the avg MA guy of today.

Forget body hardening, if dojo trained half as hard as they did even 15-20 years ago they wouldn't have enough students to keep the doors open.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Could not agree more.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails-but the one who moves on in spite of failure.

Charles R. Swindoll

I don't think we take the time in most instances to get the results brought on by body hardening for many reasons. Fast paced lifestyles, results right now attitudes, and an ADD/ADHD diagnosis for everyone doesn't help.

WildBourgMan

It could be that the thought process behind body hardening is that it isn't as necessary now as it might have been. That, and the fact that we've learned so much about training that we know that to have an effective punch, it isn't necessary to train that way.

Its also important to look at what people do for a living, as well. We've got a high ranked black belt in our organization that doesn't do board breaks with his hands. He's a doctor, and he kind of needs those hands to make his living. He doesn't really gain anything by trying to punch boards with his hands, so he uses elbow strikes instead.

Body hardening might be fun training for some people, but I really don't know that it is necessary training anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

We used to use buckets of sand to toughen the hands. Adding water makes it harder.

Wooden post wrapped with rags for feet, shins and elbows. Lots of hard contact on canvas bags also. Be careful not to sprain your wrists.

I also have a bag filled with beans to desensitize the knuckles. Be aware you can cause premature arthritis microfraturing your bones this way.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."