• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Countering from Turtle

Turtle is one of those positions that it deceptive. If you've been stuck in bottom side control for minutes on end getting crushed by a partner, it can feel like you're making progress. However, you're actually going down the positional ladder. The basic concepts of self defense jiu jitsu mandate that you don't voluntarily go to positions that you are more likely to take damage and less likely to do anything about it.

It's why we tell newer students to NEVER go there. That said, when jiu jitsu v. jiu jitsu skill gets greater and greater, the need might arise. Additionally, it's still a position that one can find themselves in, no matter what one's intention is. Therefore, getting a skill based game from there is important.

Despite being everyone's least favorite position to work, work it we must. So, last week was all about bottom turtle. Here's a look at some of the fundamental work we did:

So, who sees the benefit in either or both options here? Or, what other options do others on the board use?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like these options here. It reminds me of what I've heard called the "fat man roll" in Wrestling, where you hook the arm and then roll them. My son has tried to use it quite a bit.

Very good tips on checking the leg, keeping pressure on the partner, and then turning back to side control. I like it. Thanks for sharing again, Alex!