• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

LH vs RH Forward

I'm right handed and fight LH forward, wondering how effective people think they are when fighting the "wrong way"round.

When I'm in a RH forward stance my footwork and hands are off, especially my LH. Although my kicks are stronger they are not as effective, mostly due to my footwork.

Currently putting if more time the other way round, trying to even things out.

Funny enough I don't seem to have problems while doing kata that that are RH/LH stances and technique, guessing I don't spar enough RH forward.

Barnes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm right handed, and stand left handed in sparring. I thought it would be a disadvantage because my strong side is forward, but paying close attention to, I don't stand right hand forward all the time; throwing combinations and backing someone up, it's like I'm walking forward and alternating which hand and foot are forward. Keep me of hard to describe.

I've tried to stay left foot forward, but I'm slower and don't move nearly as well. I guess I'm pretty much ambidextrous and ambi-foot-rous. My right sets up my left, which leads to my right. I rarely throw less than 3 techniques in a combo.

It works for me. Or at least it does in my possibly delusional world.

I use either RH or LH forward, depending on who I'm fighting, how THEY are fighting/standing, or what techniques I want to use. IMO you need to be able to use either side just as effectively.

I'm RH'd btw.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

I use either RH or LH forward, depending on who I'm fighting, how THEY are fighting/standing, or what techniques I want to use. IMO you need to be able to use either side just as effectively.

I'm RH'd btw.

I agree, but sadly that is not the case for me presently.

Barnes

I'm right-handed, and I prefer to fight from an open stance--that is to say that I fight Southpaw against an Orthodox stance, and Orthodox against a Southpaw stance--most of the time, but I also switch depending on what my opponent is doing. I do think it's important to train for both sides, and against both sides.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Bit of both. My right side is definitely stronger and I used to use it almost exclusively RH forward but forced myself to spar left hand forward for a bit. Now I can change and do a bit of both depending on the situation but my left side is usually still a set up for the right.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

This seems to get raised every so often and I am going to put forward the same point of view I always do. Very few people are completely ambidextrous. This means if you are right handed and you switch to southpaw you will be less effective.

Tennis players do not change hands, cricketers do not and at Elite level in combat sports most fighters do not.

There can of course be advantages but it is more important to practise against both sides than to try to develop both sides.

Naturally ambidextrous individuals are indeed rare, but fortunately with dedicated training it is possible and not that difficult to change that. With enough practise, anyone can become as good with one side as the other and this is a great advantage for martial arts and daily life.

The natural preference for one side may remain but training to be equally competent with both sides eliminates a major weakness. A good benchmark is to train at a ratio of at least 30:10. Practise everything three times as much as the dominant side with the weaker side. If right-handed, start with the left and become left-handed. Another more indirect way to train the weaker side is to try to use it more often in daily life. That will stimulate, activate and reinforce it.

Good topic!

I'm also right handed, when I was younger I worked on the my 'other' side to be a versatile as possible when in competition.

Not so much now!

To echo Spartacus Maximus it is worth putting in the effort to be able to fight both sides, or at least have a hand full of things you can do real well to give the impression you can fight from both sides!

;-)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

Perhaps it is not the best example but for those old enough to remember, learning to use the opposite side was a main plot element in one of the Rocky films with Silvester Stallone. In the movie, switching sides when the opponent did not expect is what ensures victory.

This translates well to real life as much for a sporting match as for personal defense. A situation might arise where injury or other circumstances prevent the dominant side from being used effectively or at all. Outside of training, simple dexterity or fine tasks can be done for activating the weaker side. Writing or drawing shapes for instance.