• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I like to work on both since I like to show off..But meh each to his own...If you have a good teacher or had on you'll know what's good in combat and what's not but like jmd 161 styles like Monkey Style and Eight Drunken Immortals are good an effective styles and tey look all fancy..

Yup :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so are you guys saying that WTF TKD is pointless? and you couldnt fight with it in real life situations?

WTF-TaeKwonDo White belt

Bill Cho's National TKD

but then wing chun is a new system that tried to remove the flash and concerntrate on the effective

Wing Chun is not a "new system". As an art it was developed in the Shaolin Temple over 300 years ago. The monks realized they needed a fighting system that could be learned quickly, was simple and effective. Systems that were currently being taught took many years to learn, hence the developement of Wing Chun. The exact histroy is unclear, but if you want to learn more do an internet search on "Wing Chun History" and you can learn the various perspectives of the lineages and families.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

where did i say i wanted to learn more on the history of wing chun?

the story you are citing is one of the false legends that have been taken to be fact.

it was NOT developed in the shaolin temple and the "five" had nothing to do with it.

historical notes points to a single man who goes by the name of cheung ng who taught his tan sau to the people of the opera boats.

anything that is told before this is pure myth that has no real proof. the only evidence that has some substance is the records of events/people centred on the red boat opera troups.

also, much of the development of the style after its spread among the opera boats is by leung jan in fatshan (not the shaolin temple).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

from the ground up

are you sure about that theory???

where did you get that from??

i'm not saying you're wrong but

ive always learnt about a nun called ng mui and the creator she was the last surviving master or sumfing and she taught the art to a girl named wing chun

i dunno...

https://www.cheungswingchun.com

history

http://pcorp.azn.nu | phuong nguyen | wckf | vovinam

Every history that I am aware of points to developement in the Temple even those that dispute the Ng Mui legend.....

I am aware of the "legend" of Cheung Ng. There is historical documentation to prove that he exists but beyond that his contributions to Wing Chun are only speculation contrary to popular belief. It is believed that his largest contributions were to rebellious activities associated with the Red Junk Operas. The biggest problem with the Opera Boat history is that people frequently changed their names to protect the true identities therefore much of what is known cannot be trusted.

Even Cheung Ng also known as Tan Sao Ng is said to have learned his Wing Chun from monks in the Temple in some histories (and I have literally read dozens if not hundreds) but it is pure speculation. All historical accounts that I am aware of tie the development of Wing Chun to the Temple in one form or another whether it is the "Five Elders" or other histories that are floating around out there. If you know of histories that do not tie developement tot he Temple I would like to read it.

As I said the exact history is unclear but it is believed that Leung Jan received the system that he taught as Wing Chun was relatively complete from Leung Yee Tai when he received it.

My comment about learning more about the history of Wing Chun was directed at all on the board.

Unfortunately we will never know the true history of Wing Chun as those who know it have since passed into history.

Wing Chun Kuen Alliance

https://www.wing-chun.us

I agree, but i was just talking about the training system, you can´t apply form movements in a real fight, almost even a kick to the head, but if you can kick very hard to the head(in forms or training)...you´ll have good attributes to kick to the chest in a real fight.

Um, unless the kick is WIDE OPEN, kicking to the chest probably isn't a good idea either. IT is usually best to kick to the thighs, as it is very painful and makes you unable to walk :)

goning to nit-pick

you said that there is historical documentation regarding cheung ng. there he is noit legend. also, what he taught was not wing chun and probably looked nothing like wing chun.

i still don't believe that wing chun developed in shaolin. it just doesn't make sense that a style that is so intrinsically different to the more traditional styles could come form the same melting pot. there is just so much more real information (as well as a lot of very convincing coincidences) that point to it originating from a guy on a boat.

but then again, seeing as it was refined so much by leung jan, who knows?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Personally I think it depends on why you study MA's in the first place. Most people will never need to use their MA in a real situation. I've only used my Kung Fu in 2 situations in the last 10 years. One was to break up a fight, the other was a fight. By the way I love all the history, it's fascinating.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"