• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If someone does some flashy movements in a fight is only to showoff. and eventually will be hurt if isnt fast enought, i mean really fast.In the KF forms movements are exagerated and they are a chain of techniques, every move involves an act, a defense and an attack or both, a flashy fighter will involve various movements that arent for the fight. like he´ll do like 3 o 4 movements that are irrelevant in the same moment, just to showoff. That´s wrong cos you can have your ass beat up in the middle of that :)

What WC branch are you studiying?

thanks for your comment.

cheers

ok, now go listen to slayer!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What WC branch are you studiying?

thanks for your comment.

I'm honestly not sure, but I'm not enjoying myself too much in the club I'm in, so I'm going to stop for a while until I find a better one.

Dragon, I agree with fast acting moves, but what happens when the person isn;t standing still, say u miss the groin shot? you miss the eyes or your opponent t moves or struggles out of the way. Say he hits at you first, or when u hit at him he hits back at your groin, or tries to rake your eyes? Say he resists and is throwing pucnhes to your head/trying to throw you about - would a groin or eye strike still be as easy?

Hitting to your head: you want to hit back straight away, move or guard/block - groin strikes take more precision , you may have to drop your hands abit, exposing you head. If you eye strike and miss - he might just throw a load of punches at you.

Well it depends on what you mean by fancy?

There are fancy techniques that are very effective.Most snake style techniques can be looked at as fancy,but only a fool would argue about their effects.Monkey style and Eight Drunken Immortals are everyone's favorites at tournaments ,but if you know them both are very hard to defeat.

i'll admit there are some techniques that i would not use ,but that does'nt mean they're not effective.

jmd :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.

Just to add .02 more cents :D

Many ppl train forms the wrong way.Forms are a guide not something you try to fight with.

That'll get you killed

You fit the techniques of the form into your style of fighting not try and fit your style to the form.also if you learn a form on the right hand side you need to train just as hard if not more on the left hand side.Too many ppl train a form the way it was showed to them.Everyone you fight is not gonna attack you from the same side and angle.You need to master the techniques in a form so you can apply them from different angles with the same effect.Most masters only mastered two forms.They knew the entire style ,but mastered just a couple of forms.Two forms is enough to last you a lifetime.

jmd :)

The Basics Are The Hidden Secret To Kung Fu Master The Basics.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate those guys in sparring that do all those fancy kicks to try and look good to the rest of the class, then because it's light/semi contact you cant always punish them for it. Can only show them that their going wrong. How many times do we need to be told not to throw a technique unless we think we can land it, or land the one after it.

"I didn't lose!!! I just ran out of time to figure out how to beat him."

(Thai-Kick-Jitsu, Blue Belt)

i teach a self defence lesson in my local college and ive always got people (guys mostly) comming up to me and telling me to teach them fancy kicks and take downs but frankly it has taken me (and anyone whos ever trained in kung-fu for a long time) an age to perfect fancy moves for practical use. i do however teach some eagle claw style kicks to improve fitness and flexability to give my students a fighting chance.

yours Henry

• 4 months later...

well, there is no fancy in wing chun.

it's boring to look at, you can't even see most of what is happening AND if the guy is good, you can't even feel what is happening :)

the next thing you know, you're on the floor gasping for air...

but then wing chun is a new system that tried to remove the flash and concerntrate on the effective. that's why it's so small and compact and simple.

that's a key point on kung fu training, the forms that may appear to be fancy are for training, not combat. just because in the form you step forward into a low stance doesn't mean that when you use it on the street you do a carbon copy of it from the form.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."