• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New to Martial Arts...again.

rum pirate

Hello all,

I live on the south shore of Montreal, Canada. I did a lot of MA when I was younger...like 20 years younger, and I am trying to get back into it. For the last 2 weeks I have been checking out Martial Art clubs and I am having the hardest time finding anyone that does not just cater to kids or are so full of themselves that I can't stop laughing when I see YouTube videos of them...

I am open to almost anything..anybody here go to a school in my hood?

Cheers

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello 126barnes,

Thanks for the reply! I listed Kenpo because it was the last style that I was in. I would not mind going back to it, but I can't find a school near me...but as I said, I am willing to try just about any style, as long as it is a good school.

Welcome to the forum!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

First up, welcome aboard!

I can't say I have any experience in that neck of the woods, but don't rule out some non-traditional arts. Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ, Krav, Kali, etc can all provide a martial outlet and are rarely overrun by kids classes.

Hey rum pirate,

I think you might receive a better response if you started a thread in the Getting Started in the Martial Arts forum that included Montreal in the title of the thread, listed what you are looking for in an art and possibly what is available closest to you (though I'm sure Montreal has a lot of schools). :) Even though you aren't getting started, per se, you will have a better chance of having people in the Montreal area see it. :) Best of luck.

Patrick

Check out "Chief " Jean guy angell he was a student of the late SGM George Parase (sp) out of New England He is the founder of that style of kenpo in Canada Serveral of his student has opened school all over Quebec and his son runs the Montreal dojo around center city. Probably not close to you but there are serval schools around Montreal.

Barnes