• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managed to pass my brown belt test last night. So happy to have that finished prior to Christmas. Big thanks to all the guys that helped me prepare.

My 12 yr old son all ready to teach me the new katas as he did at blue belt level.

23 months to make BB and achieve my goal of BB at 40.

Congratulations:)

Managed to pass my brown belt test last night. So happy to have that finished prior to Christmas. Big thanks to all the guys that helped me prepare.

My 12 yr old son all ready to teach me the new katas as he did at blue belt level.

Hey! Awesome!

Feels good to be able to go into the holiday with all the worry behind you and a sense of accomplishment, doesn't it?

The idea of testing for a level is flawed in many ways. Skill level as well as technical understanding is apparent in the way one trains and practises. This is obvious to the trained eye of a skilled instructor. Evaluation is a constant process of observation and one either has a skill level or does not.

How and when an instructor chooses to formally recognize this is a matter of personal choice. Formal gradings and so-called testing are meant for an entirely different purpose than deciding whether or not students have a certain level. The instructor knows the students are ready, the importance of the test is in its symbolic meaning which is to give students a tangible representation of their progress and reward them for it. In one word "ego".

I wouldn't call it ego. Not saying there's zero ego being fueled out there, but saying it the way you did is pretty flawed IMO.

There's a big difference between feeling a sense of accomplishment and feeding an ego.

I don't need a belt to tell me what I'm capable of and not capable of. I don't need to line up in a specified order to let me know where I am in the order of things. Neither does any other sensible person.

After I've shown sufficient proficiency at my current rank, and given a choice to either be handed the new belt or have to "test" for it, I'll take the test every single time. Why? I enjoy the process. I thrive on trying to outdo what I think I'm capable of. It's extra motivation to push myself harder than the day in and day out training. The intensity and focus get turned up to 11 (thanks Spinal Tap). There's a sense of urgency that I can't get to in regular training, no matter how hard I try. When it's over, I know where I stand. What I excel at, and where I need work. Afterward, all the belt does is tell whoever's teaching where in the syllabus I am, and where I should stand in line.

The test isn't an ego feeder. It's about trying to do better than you think you're capable of. It's about that extra hard workout that doesn't come along every day. It's about leaving all the excuses behind and just doing it. Most of all, it's about learning about yourself; you learn a lot about yourself when the pressure's on.

Congratulations on the promotion. Having your 12 year old teach you that stuff must be interesting!

Makes him feel good and I enjoy spending the time in the dojo with him.

But he gets me started on the new katas, before I start working with the senior guys.

Congratulations on the promotion. Having your 12 year old teach you that stuff must be interesting!

Barnes

Well done you!

The brown belt test is a tuff one, its the one that goes much further to deciding your inclusion in the BB training that you realize!

;-)

Well done!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.