• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Training woe's

Kyonovice

I enjoy it to a degree, I would much prefer there being more students though. I have thought of just walking away, but the instructor is good and although I don't feel I owe him anything, I don't want to walk away from the club. The trouble is my daughter wants to learn as well but doesn't like being the only junior there either

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I enjoy it to a degree, I would much prefer there being more students though. I have thought of just walking away, but the instructor is good and although I don't feel I owe him anything, I don't want to walk away from the club. The trouble is my daughter wants to learn as well but doesn't like being the only junior there either

Fair enough!! I respect that!!

I'm glad to know that you've reasons to stick it out for the long haul. Keep hanging in there!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have found a Shotokan group locally that will allow myself and my daughter to train for £5 for a 90 minute session, they only train once a week - Mondays. They have said that if I can find my old KUGB licence book (I think it's about somewhere), then I can retain my shodan grade that I hold.

They have 10 juniors who train there so I feel it would be better for my daughter and being Shotokan, it is not as full on as Kyokushin for her.

I feel I may be able to reach a compromise here as well, train in the Shotokan on a Monday (work permitting) and then train at the other dojo on a Wednesday/Friday (work permitting), this way I get the best of both worlds and don't feel as though I am deserting my other instructor.

I am going to go to the Shotokan group tomorrow night if I finish work on time and then speak to my other instructor on Wednesday about it as I feel that is only fair.

I agree with JR here. Clearly you're invested enough to be worried about it. While no joy is apparent now, you are willing to try anything to bring it back. Talk to your Sensei and ask him how you can help get others in. Also, talk to your friends about coming with you. If your Sensei expresses desire to get more students then great! If not, or you can't get anymore, then find a place where your desires are met. Nothing squashes a martial arts journey faster than a loss of desire to go, and if you really want to continue then you must enjoy it on some level.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I have found a Shotokan group locally that will allow myself and my daughter to train for £5 for a 90 minute session, they only train once a week - Mondays. They have said that if I can find my old KUGB licence book (I think it's about somewhere), then I can retain my shodan grade that I hold.

They have 10 juniors who train there so I feel it would be better for my daughter and being Shotokan, it is not as full on as Kyokushin for her.

I feel I may be able to reach a compromise here as well, train in the Shotokan on a Monday (work permitting) and then train at the other dojo on a Wednesday/Friday (work permitting), this way I get the best of both worlds and don't feel as though I am deserting my other instructor.

I am going to go to the Shotokan group tomorrow night if I finish work on time and then speak to my other instructor on Wednesday about it as I feel that is only fair.

Training at both places sounds rational at this point. Make sure you speak with your sensei about it, and let him know why. Some people get weird about that, and not to stereotype, but Kyokushin guys are very traditional IMO; your situation is unique, so it shouldn't be taken the wrong way by him if fully explained.

Well, that's made things clearer.

Took my daughter to the Shotokan club, she much preferred it (which I thought would be the case - it's less intense for a start).

Now I have to work out if I can train in both styles without them getting in the way as such. Shotokan club only trains on a Monday so I will be going there then, Kyokushin trains Mon, Wed, Fri so I can train there once a week too.

Can grade at Shotokan but not sure about Kyokushin!!!

I have had to think long and hard about my decision and have decided that it is for the best that I leave my experiment in kyokushin, I just cannot devote the time required to it due to my shifts. The fitness levels required are too much for at this stage, I can't dedicate to it.

As my daughter likes Shotokan (and I feel personally it is a better fit for her if that makes sense), then we will continue at the KUGB Shotokan club, I can take her as often as I can on a Monday night and I know another KUGB club in my area that trains on a Tuesday and Thursday (adults only) so I can go there when my shifts don't permit a Monday night.

I know I have gone on about this a lot, but it has been a seriously hard decision to make and I have hated myself for having to make it, but as I said I can't dedicate the time to Kyokushin (and mixing the 2 styles just won't work for me).

Ossu