• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sanchin Kata

JR 137

I've been told Sanchin is the most important kata. Up until a few weeks ago, I accepted it, but never understood why. No one ever told me why; it was like they were saying it because they were told that too.

I've come to a realization: I feel as though I've been doing this kata the wrong way since the day I learned it. Different people have different interpretations on everything, and I guess this one's no exception. Seeing videos of Okinawans doing this kata, it makes sense, and it makes sense why it's been called the most important kata.

I see Okinawan teachers using a shinai, open and closed fists, and kicks on their students to condition them. They're constantly pushing and striking them from different angles and directions to check their posture. The student is supposed to be in tension at the right moments, and relaxation at the right moments. The ibuki breathing is supposed to coincide with the strikes they're receiving.

Sanchin can be translated as "Three Battles." Mind, body, and spirit. Knowing where you are in the kata and keeping your focus while being hit/checked (mind), conditioning your body (body), and keeping at it through the pain (spirit).

Seeing it done this way, the kata makes so much sense to me. It doesn't matter which version you're doing, i.e. Uechi Ryu, Goju with or without turns, etc., the training methods while doing it are what make the kata IMO.

I've never had a teacher do any of this to me while performing it. I heard mention of "we used to get hit with a shinai" from my teachers, but that's about as far in detail as they went with saying it. I feel ripped off in a way. I feel like I've been practicing it the wrong way, or for no real good reason other than an empty "it's the most important kata."

Am I way off with my understanding of Sanchin? I don't see much in the way of bunkai, relatively speaking. Sure there's some bunkai, but there's only about 5 different techniques in the entire kata - punch, hook block, inside-out block, nukite, and shuto enki uke (spelling?). Even when blocks aren't actually blocks, the bunkai is relatively shallow compared to something with variety such as Saiha, Pinan series, etc.; forget about Kanku or the like. Yet, Sanchin is the most important kata.

Now to find someone to hit me the right way...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here's what I mean...

And not this...

My previous sensei may be the second student from the left in that video. He looks heavier than when I was his student, it was 4 years before I started studying under him, and it's not too good picture quality. To me, that's just hitting people to "toughen up;" completely different than the first video, which seems like it has an actual point to it.

Solid OP; thank you for sharing it.

The most important Kata? I believe that that's a personal preference.

The Bunkai can be can be analyzed in other kata, separate from Sanchin without loosing anything. I do understand Sanchin can have SD application and I don't think it's wrong to practice Bunkai in Sanchin, therefore I believe that it's a personal preference.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In Naha-te systems, Sanchin is the most important kata. In Shuri-te systems, Naihanchi is the most important kata. That said, some people do both. Miyagi Chojun Sensei, of Goju-Ryu, famously said that karateka should practice both. In any event, for anything to truly be "important," it must be properly understood. While you may be doing Sanchin correctly for the way your system does it, what you may be feeling is a disconnect between the system's approach and your body.

What you're looking at is Sanchin shime, which is something that is also done in Shorin-Ryu with the Naihanchi kata, from time to time. The word "shime," in this case, is generally translated as "testing," but really means "to tighten, or economize." As you noted, the people being hit with shinai are receiving body conditioning, and to a degree there is an aspect of mental focus being developed, as well, but that is all. What you are seeing in Gushi Shinyu Sensei's video, on the other hand, is proper shime. Often, people will see shime and assume that it's entire purpose is body conditioning, because all they pay attention to is the striking. In reality, shime can be done with simple pushing, rather than striking, until the person being tested becomes so strong that you can't move them without hitting them. This process helps the student feel and refine their structure, and personally, I feel it is often overlooked because it is so often misunderstood.

It may be difficult to find someone who can really help you with shime. My suggestion would be to seek out Goju-Ryu or Uechi-Ryu practitioners who have been to Okinawa, or learned from people who have. Ask them about shime, and if they know what it's actually for, then ask them to help you with it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Great interpretation, and important points in my opinion.

It took me 20 years for my instructors to open up this method of sanchin, past the simple tension and conditioning methods, but it opens up a new world when you're doing it.

As for the most important kata, well thats up to interpretation ;)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been told by every teacher I've had that Sanchin is the most important kata. But looking back, it didn't seem like they fully believed it, but rather repeated what they were told by their teacher. It should be noted that my current teacher is a direct student of Tadashi Nakamura, and my previous CI's teacher was also Nakamura's direct student. So it's pretty safe to assume that Nakamura believes it to be the most important kata. Perhaps at advanced levels, the training I referred to begins. I only attained a shodan in my first system (former Nakamura students from Kyokushin and followed him to Seido before leaving), and am currently a 5th kyu in Seido.

Seeing how others do Sanchin, regardless of the version makes me believe that it may very well be the most important kata. Yes, you could do the "shime" with an kata or with kihon, but Sanchin has the breathing and emphasis on being rooted and rigid.

Wastelander hit the nail on the head when he said I feel a disconnect between the system's approach and me. I also understand there's a progression - you don't start with the kicks and strikes from day one; it starts with a nudge, a push, and on.

I'm no where near jumping ship because I haven't had my teacher do shime during the kata. There's way too many positives going on in my dojo. But every time I do the kata now, I can't help but think why it's not begun at least.

Patience is a virtue.

The most important kata is whatever your school/system/hombu or even yourself decides is the most important.

I wholeheartedly concur!

I don't like being told what is the most important anything, including Kata, when it comes to the MA. Not my Soke, and not my Dai-Soke ever implied that one Kata was the most important; they let us decide for ourselves because it's our journey, and not theirs. All Kata, imho, is equally important in that they each teach different and specific elements.

Interpretation can be a tricky thing.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Sanchin definitely has structural and movement concepts that help you in everything, so it is definitely important--how important is up to you, as sensei8 says. I do think that, if you are going to practice a kata, then you should find value in it. I certainly don't think you should leave your dojo because one kata doesn't feel right, but I do think you should discuss it with your instructor, and if your instructor can't help with it, maybe get a little extra help from someone else.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think I put too much emphasis on it being the most important kata. It's only been said a handful of times at best, but both CIs have said it. Current CI said it once to someone who was learning it for the first time, and my former CI said it to me the first time I learned it. Maybe once or twice more between the two of them.

Looking at it through the lens I stated above, I can see why someone would call it that. The way I've been practicing it, I can't see it. All I've done is tense up and breathe differently while performing it.

Truth be told, I'd be willing to bet it's the least practiced kata at both schools.