• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Formal Letter!!

I could've placed this topic in a number of KF forums, but I've chosen this forum because either one is an instructor or one wants to become an instructor.

OK...Cool!!

Imagine, you've just received this letter from your Hombu [Headquarter] marked as "Urgent". It reads...

"Dear Your Name,

It is with great pleasure that we invite you to join our staff as an instructor in the Teaching and Curriculum Department for the 2016 Testing Cycle.

We do wish to make clear, however, that this invitation is absolutely conditional upon the following:

Number one: You will teach only the syllabus as outlined by the department chair.

Number two: All lesson plans must be submitted at the beginning of every term for approval and revision.

Number three: You shall not provide counsel beyond your own subject for any student at any time.

And finally: That you will agree to maintain a strictly professional relationship with all members of the staff.

Sincerely,

John Doe

President of the ABC Hombu"

What do you do??

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would stare at it for a few seconds, say "lesson plans?" in a puzzled tone and shudder at flashbacks to my time on the chalkfront.

But that's just me.

Would it be of any use to you or your students to be an instructor in the Teaching and Curriculum Department for the 2016 Testing Cycle?

If yes then I would ask the powers that be exactly what they are looking for in a lesson plan and then draw up some plans as vague as possible. The plans would cover the essentials but leaving a lot of room for dealing with students who need a bit of extra demonstration and practice (I was that student once, and still am a lot of the time). One thing I learned from teaching maths was that half a lesson looks the same as a full lesson on paper and leaves time to catch the stragglers while padding out the time for the more gifted.

If no then bin it, decline politely or make excuses of not enough time as the situation dictates.

I think expecting someone to teach to a syllabus and have lesson plans is reasonable (assuming you provide adequate training how to effectively do both-- they're not as common sense as someone who's been doing them for years would think).

I think the third condition is a little odd. Part of being any sort of youth or even adult coach is being a positive influence on people's lives. That sometimes means providing counsel on other things. I think if you trust someone to be an instructor, you should trust them to help people out in a responsible way. Rather than a blanket statement, they should be given training what is appropriate and inappropriate counsel to give.

I believe that I'd...throw the letter into the trash, but not before I'd submit a response letter to the Hombu thanking them for considering me for the position, while informing the Hombu that I will not be joining their teaching staff in any shape, way, and/or form, and leave it at that.

That Hombu would want to discuss my reasons in my decision, yet I'd decline to said discussion unless pressed, and pressing me to explain myself outside of a professionally written response isn't, and wouldn't be prudent and wise for that Hombu.

This is what I'd be thinking...

It is with great pleasure that we invite you to join our staff as an instructor in the Teaching and Curriculum Department for the 2016 Testing Cycle.

Who cares about the Testing Cycle?! I surely don't! If my only purpose is to teach for the up and coming Testing Cycle, then find someone else. I've not dedicated my life to the MA for any Testing Cycle; rank is subjective and shouldn't ever be a reason for learning the MA!

Hombu wants me to teach for the preparedness of the 2016 Testing Cycle!?! Then this shows me their priorities, and it also shows me that my worthiness is to satisfy the ultimate goal...THE TESTING CYCLE...FOR RANK!

We do wish to make clear, however, that this invitation is absolutely conditional upon the following:

Conditional? Then save paper by not inviting me to join staff! I'd either be a valuable member of staff, one that can be trusted, or I'm not! Can't have both...so pick one. If it's the latter and not the former, then don't waste my time!!

Number one: You will teach only the syllabus as outlined by the department chair.

I've no problem with that providing that, as an instructor, I can amend on a per student basis. The syllabus is important, I believe that, but it's not written on granite, but on paper, and not in the heart of men/women!!

Number two: All lesson plans must be submitted at the beginning of every term for approval and revision.

A lesson plan?! This is the MA, and not some kind of public school entity! The syllabus is the guide, but providing a lesson plan that lays out what's to be taught on what day limits the instructor; I'm not an anatomical robot, but a human being that knows what to teach and how to teach and when to teach. Again, if I'm not trusted to teach the syllabus, then why invite me!?!

Number three: You shall not provide counsel beyond your own subject for any student at any time.

Subject: The Testing Cycle!! Yeah, I don't teach just for the sake of ANY TESTING CYCLE!! The Testing Cycle is a measuring tool, and nothing more than that! The MA IS my subject. If a student seeks out my counsel beyond the Testing Cycle, then by gosh, I'll provide it and not refer the student back to the Hombu, if I know how to help. The Hombu isn't the sole authority to grant permission of that scope...STUDENT asks...SENSEI answers. Referring to the Hombu all of the time, takes the legs right from under me; student will thing I don't know much except to prepare them for the Testing Cycle. I've 51 years of knowledge and experience, and this Hombu wants to suppress that...hardly a measure of an instructor of the MA.

And finally: That you will agree to maintain a strictly professional relationship with all members of the staff.

I always do!! There are many maxims that I will not ever violate; that's within me, and not negotiable at all, with no exceptions.

Now if I received this hypothetical letter from the Hombu while I had my own dojo, I'd simply inform them through the proper channels...thanks but no thanks, I've got my own dojo and I run that!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

It seems like perhaps someone is doing things they don't want done, hence the letter. Maybe someone's teaching another art alongside of yours, and the students aren't fully/adequately prepared? Maybe someone's altering standardized stuff, and the students are getting held back for performing how they were taught without knowing that what they're doing isn't what's been taught everywhere else?

Just playing devil's advocate. Seems someone somewhere is messing up, and the honbu is trying to correct with blanket statements and policies rather than pulling the person/people aside and questioning them behind closed doors. Or they did that and now want to be proactive before it becomes a problem again. Or maybe tell someone "we told you verbally, now we told you in writing. If it keeps up, you're out."

Things like this usually stem from one or two people who can't seem to follow the rules, in my experience. When I see stuff like this in my line of work, I usually get aggravated, then move on to business as usual.

It seems like perhaps someone is doing things they don't want done, hence the letter. Maybe someone's teaching another art alongside of yours, and the students aren't fully/adequately prepared? Maybe someone's altering standardized stuff, and the students are getting held back for performing how they were taught without knowing that what they're doing isn't what's been taught everywhere else?

Just playing devil's advocate. Seems someone somewhere is messing up, and the honbu is trying to correct with blanket statements and policies rather than pulling the person/people aside and questioning them behind closed doors. Or they did that and now want to be proactive before it becomes a problem again. Or maybe tell someone "we told you verbally, now we told you in writing. If it keeps up, you're out."

Things like this usually stem from one or two people who can't seem to follow the rules, in my experience. When I see stuff like this in my line of work, I usually get aggravated, then move on to business as usual.

Solid posts...hit on all of the cylinders!!

Most Hombu is designed to MANAGE THE BRAND!! Seeing that this letter was from that hypothetical Hombu to recruit a instructor FOR that Hombu, they've the rights and responsibilities to govern their staff in order to protect the student body AND the brand. The conditions are set forth to protect the brand at all costs!!

Rules and regulations are amended from time to time because someone and/or something violated the sanctity of the brand some how and some way. The brand MUST BE PROTECTED!!

Most Hombu is designed to MANAGE THE BRAND!! Seeing that this letter was from that hypothetical Hombu to recruit a instructor FOR that Hombu, they've the rights and responsibilities to govern their staff in order to protect the student body AND the brand. The conditions are set forth to protect the brand at all costs!!

Rules and regulations are amended from time to time because someone and/or something violated the sanctity of the brand some how and some way. The brand MUST BE PROTECTED!!

Reminds me of a situation in my previous organization...

One dojo taught another striking art alongside the main art. A group of students went to the honbu to test, and every single one of them made the same mistakes repeatedly. Kihon was altered, and those techniques carried over into kata. The head of the organization and instructors at the test started correcting students, until it became painfully obvious that it was a school-wide thing. The head of the organization pulled that dojo's CI aside and let him hear it (in semi-private). He reluctantly passed the students, as they were doing exactly what they were told by their CI. They didn't know any better. He told the CI if it ever happens again, the students will all fail, and he'll be out. I remember hearing something along the lines of 'if what we do isn't right, find another organization.'

One dojo taught another striking art alongside the main art. A group of students went to the honbu to test, and every single one of them made the same mistakes repeatedly. Kihon was altered, and those techniques carried over into kata. The head of the organization and instructors at the test started correcting students, until it became painfully obvious that it was a school-wide thing. The head of the organization pulled that dojo's CI aside and let him hear it (in semi-private). He reluctantly passed the students, as they were doing exactly what they were told by their CI. They didn't know any better. He told the CI if it ever happens again, the students will all fail, and he'll be out. I remember hearing something along the lines of 'if what we do isn't right, find another organization.'

I support that Hombu's decision wholeheartedly! It's ok for a CI of a dojo to teach other styles of the MA, but not to alter the core of the syllabus. Others would disagree with me, stating that a student of the MA is to amend the MA to fit THAT practitioner...I agree...however...in the context of the core style...no...unacceptable.

Take all that one knows in order to start a new style of the MA, if need be.

I support that Hombu's decision wholeheartedly! It's ok for a CI of a dojo to teach other styles of the MA, but not to alter the core of the syllabus. Others would disagree with me, stating that a student of the MA is to amend the MA to fit THAT practitioner...I agree...however...in the context of the core style...no...unacceptable.

Take all that one knows in order to start a new style of the MA, if need be.

Exactly. If you're testing for shodan under Mas Oyama, and his organization's name is on your belt and chest, it had better be the way he wants it performed. If there's a better way, don't have him test you nor your students.

When I did my Red Cross CPR instructor training, I was the only non-EMT in the class. The first thing we had to do before the course started was demonstrate all skills to the instructor. The EMTs all used EMT protocol for CPR, which is different than Red Cross. The instructor stated 'What you're doing isn't wrong, but it's not what you came here to do. If you can't follow our protocol, you can't teach it and issue cards saying you and your students are following it.' Everyone followed Red Cross protocol pretty quickly. During a break, he told me he has to stop the class and say it every time to the EMTs.

It reads, to me, to be very inflexible. And one thing I've learned when teaching is that one needs to be flexible in order to adjust to the needs and abilities of the class.

I don't think I'd sign up for that.