• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Does One Do?!?

Hate to do this but i must.

Do not take any ballet classes if you are not serious.

Have any of you been a serious ballet class?

Like martial arts ,there are different ballet classes and "levels,types" Most of these "Ballet" classes you hear athletes going to is similar to "Open" style martial arts.

I have sat thru many classical Ballet classes as my college GF was a classical ballet dancer that ended up studying at The Royal Academy of Dance in London and was assistant/presenter at The Juilliard School in NEW YORK (kind of like the "BUKOKAN" of performing arts).

Like you all HERE, Ballet is taken very serious by ballet community.

The average person may not know about this, When the singer "Ciara" did a video with "pointe" shoes ,the ballet community was very discussded at the singer for DISRESPECTING the use of pointe shoes which is saved for ballet representation of grace and beauty. I am sure if some "hip hop" singer wore a black belt and gi making up moves in a video we all would feel the same.

Just wanted to add some insight to Ballet. my personal opinion is that ballet should not be on a list for things to do for anyone over 20 years old. If anyone here tried ballet, i am sure some of us would blow our achilles tendon or hamstring anyway.

interesting knowledge

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like martial arts ,there are different ballet classes and "levels,types" Most of these "Ballet" classes you hear athletes going to is similar to "Open" style martial arts.

I have sat thru many classical Ballet classes as my college GF was a classical ballet dancer that ended up studying at The Royal Academy of Dance in London and was assistant/presenter at The Juilliard School in NEW YORK (kind of like the "BUKOKAN" of performing arts).

The average person may not know about this, When the singer "Ciara" did a video with "pointe" shoes ,the ballet community was very discussded at the singer for DISRESPECTING the use of pointe shoes which is saved for ballet representation of grace and beauty. I am sure if some "hip hop" singer wore a black belt and gi making up moves in a video we all would feel the same.

Just wanted to add some insight to Ballet. my personal opinion is that ballet should not be on a list for things to do for anyone over 20 years old. If anyone here tried ballet, i am sure some of us would blow our achilles tendon or hamstring anyway.

Solid post!!

OK...I just turned 58...maybe Ballet's out!!

:o .

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I very respectfully disagree. Just like the MA, dance, in any form should be open to anyone willing to learn, regardless of their intentions, so long as their intentions are respectful.

There are and should be ballet schools for the elite. But not every school is, and not every instructor is. I wasn't implying Sensei8 should try to get in to schools like Julliard. Unless he's got a ton of experience with it, he has no chance. Those schools go along the line of his quote "the proof is on the floor." Those schools make you audition your way in, regardless of your resume.

There's plenty of places he can go to learn ballet. If he's interested, regardless of his age and abilities, there's schooling willing to teach anyone interested. I'm pretty sure he's the type of person who'll make his intentions known to a prospective teacher.

Saying no one over 20 should begin ballet is absurd IMO. No different than saying anyone over 20 should begin karate. Saying anyone who's not dedicating their life to mastering ballet shouldn't bother is like saying anyone who won't reach 8th dan shouldn't take karate.

I have no problem with a hip hop artist wearing a gi and black belt or even a solid red grandmaster belt they didn't legitimately earn. In fact, Busta Rhymes wore a Shogun outfit in a video back in the day. He was dressed like Sho 'Nuff from The Last Dragon. I found it hilarious. He could've been his stunt double IMO.

There are karateka who'll be offended by someone wearing karate stuff. Not me. I don't find it sacred. There are (I think) and should be schools for the elite MAists. There are schools such as the koryu schools where you have to prove yourself for quite some time before you're taught anything. No problem with that. But there are and should be school open to anyone willing to learn, regardless of ability and age, so long as the intentions are good.

Not a finger pointing, soapbox standing post here. Just my opinions.

And I know several Julliard graduates who believe dance is for anyone willing to learn. I'm pretty sure they weren't offended by the singer wearing ballet shoes. I did my master's in physical education with one of them. She performed internationally for several years. She taught dance to anyone who wanted to learn at her studio.