• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Does One Do?!?

Congrats on all of your longevity in martial arts, not a small task.

Weapons would be the way to go for something different and interesting for sure. Of course it's a matter of preference though. A good deal of people seemail to really enjoy weapons, I perso ally enjoy empty hand martial arts very very much. I have trained in staff, nunchucks, sword, and fan. I'm not great at any because my heart isn't in it, but I'm pretty good.

If a person thinks they might like weapons I always say it's a great way to go because it's different. Different gets your attention, for me anyways. Also, I recommend a Chinese martial art for karate practitioners because it's also different and really offers a different concept in methods more so then another similar style like Korean martial arts vs Japanese and so on. Kickboxing and the like are great too and I always liked that but it lacks some of the forms and concepts many of us martial artists become a custom to.

My answer is really, whatever gets your attention, get it!

That's it...right there...thank you!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one who has trained for decades in the same system, the best idea is probably something radically different. Something that would require learning to move in a way that has no similarities to whatever one has been training.

It is not necessary to master a new system, only to understand the basic ideas and principles. Approach it like personal research and focus on one point. The specific system chosen for this is a matter of personal choice, but the key is the more different it is, the better and more meaningful the experience would be.

Such as for someone with 30 years of karate, for example , will benefit more from trying taichi than another karate style. It is also the best time to attend seminars and camps because the decades of training in one system will provide a unique perspective on what else exists out there.

Sensei8, living in USA is a great advantage with the sheer wealth of available choices. The idea is surely not novel to you, but if you have time to find and attend a seminar or camp, do not hesitate. What interests you?

For one who has trained for decades in the same system, the best idea is probably something radically different. Something that would require learning to move in a way that has no similarities to whatever one has been training.

It is not necessary to master a new system, only to understand the basic ideas and principles. Approach it like personal research and focus on one point. The specific system chosen for this is a matter of personal choice, but the key is the more different it is, the better and more meaningful the experience would be.

Such as for someone with 30 years of karate, for example , will benefit more from trying taichi than another karate style. It is also the best time to attend seminars and camps because the decades of training in one system will provide a unique perspective on what else exists out there.

Sensei8, living in USA is a great advantage with the sheer wealth of available choices. The idea is surely not novel to you, but if you have time to find and attend a seminar or camp, do not hesitate. What interests you?

Solid post!!

What interest me?

Tai Chi: That has always interested me, but, having dabbled in it, I like the oneness of it; the effective solitude. Yet, while it seems more boring that watching water boil from the outside, it's the inside that one can see the effectiveness for if one is to take the slow motions, and add, whenever necessary, the speed, that which seems dormant, comes alive in the face of the attacker.

Kendo: This too, has interested me. Shindokan trains in the sword through our Kobudo, but I believe that what we do, only chips away at what can be found in Kendo. In Kendo, the sword comes alive and with purpose, I love that!! The quite and calm silence is that calm before the airs interrupted through an explosion of the attack.

Kali: I love the stick work and the like. The poetry is without an equal! In Shindokan, we use the Jo as well as the Eskrima sticks, and it's those that harmonious so well.

Seminars/Camps: That I already do, just not as often as I use to. I've both attended as well as administrated seminars/camps, and it can be quite different once one is on the other side of the registration table. Different styles equal different methodologies/ideologies as well as different practitioners of all levels.

There are a many of things that interest me, both in and out of the MA, but for now, and because the list is long, time will tell which it'll be outside of the Shindokan circle.

In short...

Anything that's so much different and alien to me, just as long as it can improve my MA betterment!!

:)

Hopefully, at the end of reading this OP, one might see why I placed this topic in the "General Martial Arts" forum.

This October 18th, I've been in Shindokan Saitou-ryu for 51 years! I've earned a Kudan, as well as a Hanshi! I've crossed trained since I became a JBB in 1970, and submerged myself even more so in cross training ever since 1977.

I earned a 6th Gup [Green Belt] in TKD under Grandmaster Young Ik Suh while I was in high school. I wanted to learn to kick above the waist because Shindokan kicks are only waist down. Shindokan utilizes 15% of kicks in our curriculum, and for the most part, our kicks are to disrupt ones base as well as for premeditated strikes.

Shindokan teaches grappling, and not just a slight notion, the curriculum is quite encompassing when it comes to grappling. I can hold my own on the floor; I'm quite comfortable on the floor/mat.

Shindokan utilizes Te Waza in 85% of our curriculum. This is because of our brand of Tuite and Kyusho-jitsu. In short, Shindokan is a striking art more than anything else. My hand speed and dexterity has been labeled by other MAists as somewhat "uncanny" and "unnerving".

I've developed over these many years quite a punch...quite a kick. Other MAists say that I kick "like a mule" and I punch with "a deliberate penetration".

In short, many that have shared the floor with me, both in Shindokan and those outside of the Shindokan circle, say that I've "got mean skills"!

Yet, after 51 years in Shindokan Saitou-ryu and a quite an indepth cross training regime, I still feel incomplete; as though something is still missing. Shindokan is an effective art, however, like any MA, it's limited. Shindokan is like having a nice steak to chew on, but it still needs some steak sauce to give it some nice flavor.

OK, now that I've thrown out some background, and patted myself on my own back, let me get to the question at hand. This question has been floating around in both my mind as well as in my heart.

What MA would YOU suggest that I learn?

After that...

Would this desire best serve my MA betterment to do private or group lessons?

Listen, in my own heart, I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I know that; I'm limited, but aren't we all. That drives me, and that drives me crazy!! I hated to seem like a braggest about myself in this OP, or at any time because that's not me; I'm as humble as I can be.

No matter the style of the MA, except Shindokan, I'm a beginner; I wear that badge proudly!!!!!!!!!!! I've cross trained for over 28 years, but that's indirect learning as opposed to direct learning; like Shindokan, that's direct learning. Sure, I've acquired some knowledge these past 28 years, but, I've gotten the ice cream, but no whip cream or cheery at the top...if you get my meaning. I'll ALWAYS be a student of the MA!!

I can relate to these words...

"If I tell you I'm good, you'll think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm not that good, you'll know I'm lying." ~ Bruce Lee

Before anyone implies, directly and/or indirectly, I'm not comparing myself to Bruce Lee. Yet, I'm complete in my totality as a MAist!

Your thoughts, I welcome them!! Please be as frank and blunt as you can, if you must, just be honest!!

Hmm not sure what Martial Art you should do. However, the question of group or private is a good one. If it's gonna be at the Hombu then I would do private. However, if you travel to another dojo, then do group.

Are you speaking about the Shindokan Hombu or dojo's within the Shindokan network??

Hmmm, I guess the Shindokan Hombu?

Whenever I'm at the Shindokan Hombu, I will train with those that are usually Rokudan and above, and primarily with Greg, our Kancho. As Kaicho, I'll teach quite often, if not all of the classes while I'm in house. When it comes to my training time at the Hombu, there will be about 15 Senior Dan Ranks on the floor with me; all of us training! Greg, well, that's usually just us on the floor but spectators will be there because Greg and I train quite extremely.

Awesome, are there any classes you enjoy teaching more than others? Such as kids or adults?

Teachers are always learning

Settling on a single choice takes a long time to think over. This is why seminars and camps are useful. They are one of the best ways to try several things in different systems when there is no single choice to be made. It also allows focus on a single aspect.

As for a personal recommendation, I might suggest fencing. Not the olympic sport, mind you, but as it is recreated and taught based on training manuals from the 17th-18th centuries with replica swords. Another would be the Russian art Systema, which offers a very peculiar way of moving and striking.

Hopefully, at the end of reading this OP, one might see why I placed this topic in the "General Martial Arts" forum.

This October 18th, I've been in Shindokan Saitou-ryu for 51 years! I've earned a Kudan, as well as a Hanshi! I've crossed trained since I became a JBB in 1970, and submerged myself even more so in cross training ever since 1977.

I earned a 6th Gup [Green Belt] in TKD under Grandmaster Young Ik Suh while I was in high school. I wanted to learn to kick above the waist because Shindokan kicks are only waist down. Shindokan utilizes 15% of kicks in our curriculum, and for the most part, our kicks are to disrupt ones base as well as for premeditated strikes.

Shindokan teaches grappling, and not just a slight notion, the curriculum is quite encompassing when it comes to grappling. I can hold my own on the floor; I'm quite comfortable on the floor/mat.

Shindokan utilizes Te Waza in 85% of our curriculum. This is because of our brand of Tuite and Kyusho-jitsu. In short, Shindokan is a striking art more than anything else. My hand speed and dexterity has been labeled by other MAists as somewhat "uncanny" and "unnerving".

I've developed over these many years quite a punch...quite a kick. Other MAists say that I kick "like a mule" and I punch with "a deliberate penetration".

In short, many that have shared the floor with me, both in Shindokan and those outside of the Shindokan circle, say that I've "got mean skills"!

Yet, after 51 years in Shindokan Saitou-ryu and a quite an indepth cross training regime, I still feel incomplete; as though something is still missing. Shindokan is an effective art, however, like any MA, it's limited. Shindokan is like having a nice steak to chew on, but it still needs some steak sauce to give it some nice flavor.

OK, now that I've thrown out some background, and patted myself on my own back, let me get to the question at hand. This question has been floating around in both my mind as well as in my heart.

What MA would YOU suggest that I learn?

After that...

Would this desire best serve my MA betterment to do private or group lessons?

Listen, in my own heart, I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I know that; I'm limited, but aren't we all. That drives me, and that drives me crazy!! I hated to seem like a braggest about myself in this OP, or at any time because that's not me; I'm as humble as I can be.

No matter the style of the MA, except Shindokan, I'm a beginner; I wear that badge proudly!!!!!!!!!!! I've cross trained for over 28 years, but that's indirect learning as opposed to direct learning; like Shindokan, that's direct learning. Sure, I've acquired some knowledge these past 28 years, but, I've gotten the ice cream, but no whip cream or cheery at the top...if you get my meaning. I'll ALWAYS be a student of the MA!!

I can relate to these words...

"If I tell you I'm good, you'll think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm not that good, you'll know I'm lying." ~ Bruce Lee

Before anyone implies, directly and/or indirectly, I'm not comparing myself to Bruce Lee. Yet, I'm complete in my totality as a MAist!

Your thoughts, I welcome them!! Please be as frank and blunt as you can, if you must, just be honest!!

Hmm not sure what Martial Art you should do. However, the question of group or private is a good one. If it's gonna be at the Hombu then I would do private. However, if you travel to another dojo, then do group.

Are you speaking about the Shindokan Hombu or dojo's within the Shindokan network??

Hmmm, I guess the Shindokan Hombu?

Whenever I'm at the Shindokan Hombu, I will train with those that are usually Rokudan and above, and primarily with Greg, our Kancho. As Kaicho, I'll teach quite often, if not all of the classes while I'm in house. When it comes to my training time at the Hombu, there will be about 15 Senior Dan Ranks on the floor with me; all of us training! Greg, well, that's usually just us on the floor but spectators will be there because Greg and I train quite extremely.

Awesome, are there any classes you enjoy teaching more than others? Such as kids or adults?

No, I enjoy teaching both the kids, as well as the adults, because they both offer their own unique and rewarding challenges.

Settling on a single choice takes a long time to think over. This is why seminars and camps are useful. They are one of the best ways to try several things in different systems when there is no single choice to be made. It also allows focus on a single aspect.

As for a personal recommendation, I might suggest fencing. Not the olympic sport, mind you, but as it is recreated and taught based on training manuals from the 17th-18th centuries with replica swords. Another would be the Russian art Systema, which offers a very peculiar way of moving and striking.

Solid post!!

Yes, I will check into the sword training based on the 17th-18th centuries; those swords were blunt, and I mean that in the most respectful way.

I truly need to visit a Systems school because, for what I've garnered from attending one seminar, I was left empty. Some of the movements as well as the techniques left little to be desired. It could've been the quality of the instructor, but, I shook my head in disbelief more than once.

I will give it another chance, if I can find one in Houston, TX.

What is truly amazing and interesting with sword play is the strength and flexibility of limbs needed to effectively wield a sword. Unlike modern fencing, the replica swords are anything but light. Training develops great arm, and especially wrist strength. Agility is another great ability that is stressed in this art.

As for Systema, there is so much variety in the skill level of instructors that it can be difficult to find quality. When it is found though, it is well worth the trouble.

Don't take this as a joke...

What about ballet? Teaches graceful movement. Takes a ton of coordination, balance, strength, flexibility, and focus. Greatly enhances athletic ability.

The head basketball coach at a college I used to work at made all his guys take ballet (it counted as a physical education or art elective). They hated that coach made them do it, but every one of them said it was easily the best thing outside of playing and the weight room (they did more than just lift weights in the weight room). Several of them took more advanced ballet classes while there because they liked the benefits.

When you break it down, karate is all movement. New ways to move can only help.

Don't take this as a joke...

What about ballet? Teaches graceful movement. Takes a ton of coordination, balance, strength, flexibility, and focus. Greatly enhances athletic ability.

The head basketball coach at a college I used to work at made all his guys take ballet (it counted as a physical education or art elective). They hated that coach made them do it, but every one of them said it was easily the best thing outside of playing and the weight room (they did more than just lift weights in the weight room). Several of them took more advanced ballet classes while there because they liked the benefits.

When you break it down, karate is all movement. New ways to move can only help.

I don't take your advice as a joke because ballet is learnt from a wide spectrum of people, including professional athletes. Ballet accentuates movements learnt in the MA; gives them that smooth polish.

Good call, JR 137!!