• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What Does One Do?!?

Hopefully, at the end of reading this OP, one might see why I placed this topic in the "General Martial Arts" forum.

This October 18th, I've been in Shindokan Saitou-ryu for 51 years! I've earned a Kudan, as well as a Hanshi! I've crossed trained since I became a JBB in 1970, and submerged myself even more so in cross training ever since 1977.

I earned a 6th Gup [Green Belt] in TKD under Grandmaster Young Ik Suh while I was in high school. I wanted to learn to kick above the waist because Shindokan kicks are only waist down. Shindokan utilizes 15% of kicks in our curriculum, and for the most part, our kicks are to disrupt ones base as well as for premeditated strikes.

Shindokan teaches grappling, and not just a slight notion, the curriculum is quite encompassing when it comes to grappling. I can hold my own on the floor; I'm quite comfortable on the floor/mat.

Shindokan utilizes Te Waza in 85% of our curriculum. This is because of our brand of Tuite and Kyusho-jitsu. In short, Shindokan is a striking art more than anything else. My hand speed and dexterity has been labeled by other MAists as somewhat "uncanny" and "unnerving".

I've developed over these many years quite a punch...quite a kick. Other MAists say that I kick "like a mule" and I punch with "a deliberate penetration".

In short, many that have shared the floor with me, both in Shindokan and those outside of the Shindokan circle, say that I've "got mean skills"!

Yet, after 51 years in Shindokan Saitou-ryu and a quite an indepth cross training regime, I still feel incomplete; as though something is still missing. Shindokan is an effective art, however, like any MA, it's limited. Shindokan is like having a nice steak to chew on, but it still needs some steak sauce to give it some nice flavor.

OK, now that I've thrown out some background, and patted myself on my own back, let me get to the question at hand. This question has been floating around in both my mind as well as in my heart.

What MA would YOU suggest that I learn?

After that...

Would this desire best serve my MA betterment to do private or group lessons?

Listen, in my own heart, I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I know that; I'm limited, but aren't we all. That drives me, and that drives me crazy!! I hated to seem like a braggest about myself in this OP, or at any time because that's not me; I'm as humble as I can be.

No matter the style of the MA, except Shindokan, I'm a beginner; I wear that badge proudly!!!!!!!!!!! I've cross trained for over 28 years, but that's indirect learning as opposed to direct learning; like Shindokan, that's direct learning. Sure, I've acquired some knowledge these past 28 years, but, I've gotten the ice cream, but no whip cream or cheery at the top...if you get my meaning. I'll ALWAYS be a student of the MA!!

I can relate to these words...

"If I tell you I'm good, you'll think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm not that good, you'll know I'm lying." ~ Bruce Lee

Before anyone implies, directly and/or indirectly, I'm not comparing myself to Bruce Lee. Yet, I'm complete in my totality as a MAist!

Your thoughts, I welcome them!! Please be as frank and blunt as you can, if you must, just be honest!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my initial thought for you would be Kali/Escrima, but I always start these things off by asking; "what is available in your area?" I could suggest all kinds of arts, but if no one is teaching them around it, it doesn't do you much good :P

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Have you trained in weapons?

My suggestion would be southeast Asian martial arts like pencak silat or kali, as these are forms which I would like to learn myself.

Systems that are completely unrelated to karate.

I love the beauty in these arts as well as the raw grittiness.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer about the private/group lesson question, Ive never trained in these arts, I only suggest them as they're so unrelated.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Well,

There's quite a lot of TKD! There's a few where the CI has founded a style; one of the CI's use to be a Power Ranger, yes, a Power Ranger. One of the styles is the style that you, Noah, train in.

I'm in Houston, TX, and it's the 4th largest city in the USA, so, in Houston proper, the skies the limit MA wise. Having said that, I'm not interested in driving far, and Houston is HUGE. Google Pearland, TX, and that'll tell you what's available in my area.

It's possible that I'm just starving from the lack of outside stimulus training, and all that goes with it at all levels. I closed my school in Tulsa, OK to help care for my sister, and I've not solidified a new location to re-open my Kyuodan Dojo here in Pearland, TX. So, the only thing to feed my starving heart is the occasional visit to the Hombu or to any Shindokan dojo.

Have you trained in weapons?

My suggestion would be southeast Asian martial arts like pencak silat or kali, as these are forms which I would like to learn myself.

Systems that are completely unrelated to karate.

I love the beauty in these arts as well as the raw grittiness.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer about the private/group lesson question, Ive never trained in these arts, I only suggest them as they're so unrelated.

Oh, yes; Shindokan is an Okinawan art, therefore, Kobudo is a staple.

Work to save Traditional Karate. Forget the physical side, that is perishable .

OK!! I like that...any suggestions, short of opening my Kyuodan Dojo!!

Hopefully, at the end of reading this OP, one might see why I placed this topic in the "General Martial Arts" forum.

This October 18th, I've been in Shindokan Saitou-ryu for 51 years! I've earned a Kudan, as well as a Hanshi! I've crossed trained since I became a JBB in 1970, and submerged myself even more so in cross training ever since 1977.

I earned a 6th Gup [Green Belt] in TKD under Grandmaster Young Ik Suh while I was in high school. I wanted to learn to kick above the waist because Shindokan kicks are only waist down. Shindokan utilizes 15% of kicks in our curriculum, and for the most part, our kicks are to disrupt ones base as well as for premeditated strikes.

Shindokan teaches grappling, and not just a slight notion, the curriculum is quite encompassing when it comes to grappling. I can hold my own on the floor; I'm quite comfortable on the floor/mat.

Shindokan utilizes Te Waza in 85% of our curriculum. This is because of our brand of Tuite and Kyusho-jitsu. In short, Shindokan is a striking art more than anything else. My hand speed and dexterity has been labeled by other MAists as somewhat "uncanny" and "unnerving".

I've developed over these many years quite a punch...quite a kick. Other MAists say that I kick "like a mule" and I punch with "a deliberate penetration".

In short, many that have shared the floor with me, both in Shindokan and those outside of the Shindokan circle, say that I've "got mean skills"!

Yet, after 51 years in Shindokan Saitou-ryu and a quite an indepth cross training regime, I still feel incomplete; as though something is still missing. Shindokan is an effective art, however, like any MA, it's limited. Shindokan is like having a nice steak to chew on, but it still needs some steak sauce to give it some nice flavor.

OK, now that I've thrown out some background, and patted myself on my own back, let me get to the question at hand. This question has been floating around in both my mind as well as in my heart.

What MA would YOU suggest that I learn?

After that...

Would this desire best serve my MA betterment to do private or group lessons?

Listen, in my own heart, I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I know that; I'm limited, but aren't we all. That drives me, and that drives me crazy!! I hated to seem like a braggest about myself in this OP, or at any time because that's not me; I'm as humble as I can be.

No matter the style of the MA, except Shindokan, I'm a beginner; I wear that badge proudly!!!!!!!!!!! I've cross trained for over 28 years, but that's indirect learning as opposed to direct learning; like Shindokan, that's direct learning. Sure, I've acquired some knowledge these past 28 years, but, I've gotten the ice cream, but no whip cream or cheery at the top...if you get my meaning. I'll ALWAYS be a student of the MA!!

I can relate to these words...

"If I tell you I'm good, you'll think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm not that good, you'll know I'm lying." ~ Bruce Lee

Before anyone implies, directly and/or indirectly, I'm not comparing myself to Bruce Lee. Yet, I'm complete in my totality as a MAist!

Your thoughts, I welcome them!! Please be as frank and blunt as you can, if you must, just be honest!!

Hmm not sure what Martial Art you should do. However, the question of group or private is a good one. If it's gonna be at the Hombu then I would do private. However, if you travel to another dojo, then do group.

Teachers are always learning

Well, my initial thought for you would be Kali/Escrima, but I always start these things off by asking; "what is available in your area?" I could suggest all kinds of arts, but if no one is teaching them around it, it doesn't do you much good :P

Wasteland beat me to it! Pick up Kali. It's fantastic and has become a staple of what I do. After dabbling in a couple of different blends I landed in PTK and haven't looked back. That said, any of them will give you a different look at weapons and some phenomenal footwork.

Work to save Traditional Karate. Forget the physical side, that is perishable .

OK!! I like that...any suggestions, short of opening my Kyuodan Dojo!!

Take WKF down.

To the WKF people. I do appreciate what WKF original intentions were. But the direction that WKF is taking Karate is not what many like. It is becoming a monster like the FIFA and OIC.

I am serious about this. if any other instructors agree with me feel free to contact me with any ideas.

I can promise the traditionalist, i can have influence on lot of instructors within my style. If the other major or even sub major styles want to have input , please let me know.

interesting knowledge