• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Structure of Your Training?

Doire

I started my journey in karate for self defense. I've continued and stayed for that reason as well. Yes, there's other reasons as well - health benefits, stress relief, self betterment, and so on that also keep me going, but take away the self defense, and I'm out. There's far better ways of achieving the others IMO. Religious studies, group exercise classes, self improvement seminars and books, and so on.

Personally, I don't feel that I need religious studies (or religion for that matter) to make me a better person. I lead a fairly active lifestyle and have a good diet, so I don't need exercise classes. Haven't been to many seminars but the ones I have been to did nothing for me.

Most importantly however, I do not live a life where my primary need is knowing I can defend myself. I live in a safe area within one of the safest countries in the world so for me, Karate hasn't been for that purpose either.

I do however enjoy and thrive on the acquisition and honing of skills. In other words realising the more comprehensive meaning behind Budo.

Remember, styles of Karate like Shotokan are Japanese in their structure (rather than Okinawan) - and as a result, the focus and the values are different.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my journey in karate for self defense. I've continued and stayed for that reason as well. Yes, there's other reasons as well - health benefits, stress relief, self betterment, and so on that also keep me going, but take away the self defense, and I'm out. There's far better ways of achieving the others IMO. Religious studies, group exercise classes, self improvement seminars and books, and so on.

Personally, I don't feel that I need religious studies (or religion for that matter) to make me a better person. I lead a fairly active lifestyle and have a good diet, so I don't need exercise classes. Haven't been to many seminars but the ones I have been to did nothing for me.

Most importantly however, I do not live a life where my primary need is knowing I can defend myself. I live in a safe area within one of the safest countries in the world so for me, Karate hasn't been for that purpose either.

I do however enjoy and thrive on the acquisition and honing of skills. In other words realising the more comprehensive meaning behind Budo.

Remember, styles of Karate like Shotokan are Japanese in their structure (rather than Okinawan) - and as a result, the focus and the values are different.

K.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

K.

Again, I think we're closer in opinion that a forum will inherently allow. I study Seido Juku, a style founded by Tadashi Nakamura, who's teacher was Mas Oyama, founder of Kyokushin. Nakamura left Kyokushin for several reasons; most notably he felt the moral aspects/values of karate were being ignored, and Kyokushin was becoming all about competition.

Seido has a strong meditative and holistic side to it. But at its core, the physical techniques are all about self defense. All those qualities are what keep me there rather than going to other arts that are great but I feel have little real-world self defense value. I'm not bashing them in any way and I have a ton of respect for them and understand why people study them, but I don't have much interest in kendo, iado, fencing, etc.

This may be of interest and may help the OP by explaining the significance of a Kata based structure in Karate.

It's a bit dumbed down but it gives the impression.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

This may be of interest and may help the OP by explaining the significance of a Kata based structure in Karate.

I really like that episode. Hajime Kazumi's change of viewpoint really stood out to me. The other episodes in the series are good too, but that one's my favorite of the series. Another excellent one is Tee: The Spirit of Okinawan Karate. Sums up the why of kata and karate in general very well IMO.

I really like that episode. Hajime Kazumi's change of viewpoint really stood out to me. The other episodes in the series are good too, but that one's my favorite of the series. Another excellent one is Tee: The Spirit of Okinawan Karate. Sums up the why of kata and karate in general very well IMO.

I wholeheartedly concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!