• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Silat Limb Control

A friend of mine showed me this video of Guru Maul Mornie, who is a well-known silat instructor that I follow, using the Wall Dome training dummy. I love training dummies, but I honestly am not that fond of this design. Regardless, Guru Mornie shows a lot of great limb control techniques in this video--many of which can also be found in karate--so I thought I would share it here.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you, Noah, for the video; really enjoyed it!!

I have to admit it though, I've not ever seen the Wall Dummy, and I want one NOW because it would so much compliment the WC Dummy. The WC Dummy is a very important training tool for Shindokan's brand of close range techniques which depend on many varied transitions. Also, I've not ever seen and/or heard of Guru Maul Mornie.

Noah, you say you're not fond of the design, and I can appreciate that. Have you ever trained with a WC Dummy on a regular basis? If not, I can appreciate it even more because of the unfamiliarity that would surround that type of apparatus.

Again, thanks Noah!!

:o

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Noah, you say you're not fond of the design, and I can appreciate that. Have you ever trained with a WC Dummy on a regular basis? If not, I can appreciate it even more because of the unfamiliarity that would surround that type of apparatus.

Glad you liked it! I've used Wing Chun dummies, as well as a couple different types of kakiya/kakete-biki. I actually love the idea of this dummy--I just can't get past the sharp corners on the elbows!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Cool video!

I love pencak Silat. Probably 90% of the videos I've watched on YouTube are pencak Silat related. Unfortunately in BC there are only 2 places which teach a pencak Silat style. One of which is on Vancouver Island, the other is about an hour and a half from my town and trains on the same days and time as my karate dojo.

Thank you for sharing!

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Very nice, thank you for sharing it. What he was doing reminded me a lot of what I've seen in some of the Kung Fu videos that stonecrusher69 has posted. Lots of similar movements, structure, etc. Really cool to see. I love the way he works the angles, and I like the way he is able to interact with that dummy.

Very nice, thank you for sharing it. What he was doing reminded me a lot of what I've seen in some of the Kung Fu videos that stonecrusher69 has posted. Lots of similar movements, structure, etc. Really cool to see. I love the way he works the angles, and I like the way he is able to interact with that dummy.

I liked that he'd demonstrate on the Wall Dummy, and then showed possible applications of what was demonstrated; my Oyo eye peaked up wide for that! It took a 2D look into a 3D look; awesome!

:)

I liked that he'd demonstrate on the Wall Dummy, and then showed possible applications of what was demonstrated; my Oyo eye peaked up wide for that! It took a 2D look into a 3D look; awesome!

Yes, that was a very nice touch, being able to see the transition from the dummy to applications.

Yes, that was a very nice touch, being able to see the transition from the dummy to applications.

And for what it's worth, I would've like to see more resistive training. However, there's a time in ones training where non-resistive training is paramount, like, when learning the applications. Once learned, and at the discretion of the instructor, then resistive training become tantamount to ones training.

Therefore, I perceive the video as more of a learning video, and not as an already learnt video.

• 9 months later...

The video is cool. The wall dummy is cool also. The techniques look alot like Wing Chun to me with a slap or kick, with a telegraphing twist for there openers.

It's all great if people are moving in slow mo with arms stretched out and want to get beaten up.

So although the techniques are solid, just cannot buy in to the virtual combat wall dummy and the crash test dummy partner scenarios.

Sorry!!!

For introductory level marital artists this video could be a great primer to start with. But reality dictates to me for advanced students, the dummy has to get out of the equation; the sooner the better.

The question is,

is the wall dummy a novelty or a real valid training aid?

Personally I'm no stranger to wooden/plastic/metal dummies.

I believe training with them has some benefits.

There are no human qualities about them, therefore when I move, I want to be as un-predictable and un-dummyish as possible.

The way the dummy was being attacked in the video looked more like bullying than anything else! There was nothing self-defense about it just blatant abusive intent.

Virtual training has it's dangers of giving confidence to none realistic circumstances. It could get a person (student) seriously hurt. As for the instructor teaching virtual as actual it is very irresponsible. Especially when weapon training is involved.