• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For me, Aikido is not really a Martial art. What!? I hear you ask. Well its more of a "living" art. Its more than just fighting, locking and breaking, its a way of life. You take what you learn out of the dojo. I dont mean by this you Nikkyo (Nasty VERY VERY painful wrist lock) every guy in the street. But you try to be a better person. Like all the Budo arts, its about the warrior spirit. ZANSHIN!

Exactly! MA's are about so much more. If they're not, what's to seperate us from common thugs?

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sort of between arts right now. I've done about two years of TKD and a bit of tai chi just to try it out. I haven't really decided if I want to continue TKD or not. I'll make a decision soon but I've got time till the knee heals.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• 5 months later...

how long until aikido is a very effective method of self-defense?

i've heard that masters are basicly "untouchable" to most people, could that be true? thanks.

I have to go on records as saying that while Aikido is a terribly difficult art to master, and that to attain the "untouchable" status even more unlikely, that it "DOES NOT" not require ten years of practice to be effective for self defense.

I have foolishly allowed myself to be drawn in confrontations where I was called upon to use my knowledge of aikido. Keep in mind that it was years ago, after about three years of training and I have since learned the error of such conduct. The point is that I was more than capable of defending myself using techniques that I had learned in the dojo.

I've said this before but I'll repeat it. Aikido was designed for mortal combat, and the only difference between the art at it's inception and the common Aikido schools today is that the focus isn't on making the technique street effective right away. If a diligent student practices well and considers the realities of self defense carefully, he or she can easily find the way to make the aikido work to his or her advantage if the need to do so presents itself.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

• 4 weeks later...

aikido is the study of the spirit and its an all-embracing path,eclectic system containing elements of estoricShinto, tantric Buddhism,Taoism,Confucianism,and even Christianity Osensei once said

the aikido I practice has room for each of the world's eight million gods and i cooperate with each one of them the great Spirit of aiki enjoins all that is divine and enlightened in every land Unite yuorself to the divine,and you will be able to perceive gods wherever you are

aikido is the way of love and harmonie whit this in mind you greate

Masakatsu-Agatsu "true victory is Self-victory

true victory is self victory

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

At Dartmouth, we train Aikido and Nihon Jiu-jitsu at the same time. Our first charts focus more on the Jiu-jitsu, because it is more "useful" and because Aikido is derived from Jiu-jitsu. I think that this is the best of both worlds, but then again, I am already trained in karate-do, so I already have self-defense skills.

Just remember, there's more to MAs than fighting and self-defense. They teach you discipline, pacience, hard work, etc. Hopefully, you won't get into fights anyway (see my signature).

"The true master avoids the fight."

Shodan - Uechi-Ryu Karate

Brown Belt - Zen Budo Ryu JJ, Yoshinkan Aikido

I have read many forums on AIKIDO, to me it sounds like a finishing art. Maybe you have trained in many other things for numerous years, Aikido sounds like a good addition to tac on at the end. Anyone agree to that?

BJJ - Blue Belt

TaeKwonDo - Brown Belt

Krav Maga

Kickboxing

• 7 months later...

Hey it's true Aikido is sort of a finisher art. It's good to learn a hard style like Kung Fu or Karate etc before you go to soft style so that you understand it better and you can defend yourself applicalbly on the street. Though Aikido is extremely effective it does take longer to use than say Shotokan. Also having done a hard style you will understand Aikido better than joe nobody off the street and you will get a feel for it quickly. Those in my Aikido dojo who came from Kung Fu have all caught on very fast.