• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i dont know if this has been discussed recently because i cant find anything like it.

from what i've heard, aikido takes awhile to be able to use it for self defense. but im only 16 so i figure i have plenty of time to learn it before i'm old :lol: before i go into my questions i think i should say that i know everyone is different and learn at different paces so i just want an estimate please.

how long until aikido is a very effective method of self-defense?

i've heard that masters are basicly "untouchable" to most people, could that be true? thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on a true story :roll:

Girlfriend - Sal... that guy keeps looking at me!

Sal - What guy? That one?

Girlfriend - Yeah!

Sal - Hey buddy! Whats your name?

Mike - Who me? My name's Mike!

Sal - Mike... I'm gonna kick your butt for looking at my girlfriend!

Mike - No... You can't... I train in Aikido.

Sal - So what? Are your trying to scare me? "Laughing"

Mike - No, It will take me 10 years in order to learn how to defend myself in Aikido... so can we postpone this fight for 10 "BANG"

Sal - Sorry to hit you Mike in the middle of your sentence but you don't have 10 years to learn self-defence on the streets. Here's a number to the Muay Thai club I train at.

Girlfriend - aww... Sal... you knocked him out. He can't hear you!

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.

Based on a true story :roll:

Girlfriend - Sal... that guy keeps looking at me!

Sal - What guy? That one?

Girlfriend - Yeah!

Sal - Hey buddy! Whats your name?

Mike - Who me? My name's Mike!

Sal - Mike... I'm gonna kick your butt for looking at my girlfriend!

Mike - No... You can't... I train in Aikido.

Sal - So what? Are your trying to scare me? "Laughing"

Mike - No, It will take me 10 years in order to learn how to defend myself in Aikido... so can we postpone this fight for 10 "BANG"

Sal - Sorry to hit you Mike in the middle of your sentence but you don't have 10 years to learn self-defence on the streets. Here's a number to the Muay Thai club I train at.

Girlfriend - aww... Sal... you knocked him out. He can't hear you!

That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If I make a judgement from this story, it looks to me like Muay Thai doesn't teach anything but how to attack. Hitting a guy for looking at you girlfriend... what shit.

I'm not an Aikido stylist but i have talked and trained with aikido stylist and i'll try to give you my personal opinion based on your questions..

Yes, Aikido will take a long while to be truly effective for self defense, also will depend on which club you join. Some School are more toward "ki" development and other to Self defense. Aikido schools from the Yoshinkan organization tend to be more self defense oriented.

I don't know how long will take to be effective, i guess that depends on how much you train and how wise is the teacher, but i can safely say that it may take more than 5 years to be Trully effective Still, that's just my opinion, can be less can be more.

If you want quick self defense techniques, go and find something else.. if you are willing to devote several Years to train and learn the complete Art, you can give Aikido a shot.

Untouchable masters?? who knows?? nowbody is invincible, nowbody. and i advice you to don't live up to be an invincible martial artist because that's not likely to happend. Train realistic and set realistic goals for yourself.

Aikido is a beautifull style, looks cool, teachs you many good things not just for self defense but for living a good healty life, Just keep it realistic and train hard.

Hope this help a little.

Thanks Submission, I respect what you said.

Thai_Kick, can we try and have a thread thats not about how great Mauy Thai is. Thanks.

I have been studing Aikido for about 6 months, so I am no professional. Its a life times study, and one that only gets better with age. So its nice to think that when I am 30 I will be better than I am now, but better still, will be when I am 80 I will be better than when I was 30.

Aikido has no quick answers, you will have no hope of challenging a BJJist, MT or even Karate after 3 years. Aikido takes time to get "the feeling". Its more about Ki than physical strength. I study Ki Aikido, which is not the most "combat" orintated Aikido branch. But Ki aikido will make you the most powerful in the end, but it takes time. I am only 19, and yourself only 16, so you have LOTS of time. By the time you are 26, you will be pretty good. But then a MA is only as good as its practioners.

For me, Aikido is not really a Martial art. What!? I hear you ask. Well its more of a "living" art. Its more than just fighting, locking and breaking, its a way of life. You take what you learn out of the dojo. I dont mean by this you Nikkyo (Nasty VERY VERY painful wrist lock) every guy in the street. But you try to be a better person. Like all the Budo arts, its about the warrior spirit. ZANSHIN!

As for Aikido masters being untouchable, and speaking from experience, they are. But then again, so are most masters of all styles.

Here are some links to for you to have a look at:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/

http://www.aikiweb.com/

http://www.aikidofaq.com/

http://www.kifedgb.force9.co.uk/contents.html (The dojo I train at)

Lastly I will leave you with a quote from one of the Greatest Martist Artists to grace this earth - O Sensei M Ueshiba.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,

those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.

Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."

Hope this helps,

Take Care.

PS It would be great to have another Aikidoka around.

:kaioken: What a jerk! A little self esteem problem maybe? :-?

Good thing not all MT people are like that. It really degrades a good art.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare