• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee In Drills and Counter

The past few weeks have been all about attacking from various mount positions. So it made logical sense to spend the next week escaping from these positions. Here, we break down a drill for maintaining top positions thru movement followed by an escape option from the knee in position:

and

Take a look at both. Does the transitionary theory make sense? Does the drill assist in this? What about the escape to the knee in? Anyone use this? Or another? Any questions about these specific applications?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Both videos, excellent tutorials, Alex. Thank you for sharing them.

I'll not comment and/or answer your questions proposed because I want other KF members to respond instead, although I want to right now.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I liked the transitional drill, and shared it to our FB page with the DT club. Maybe, I can decipher it and use it as a drill in the upcoming months. Thank you, Alex. Some of the students had questions on the transition from mount to side control, and how to keep from giving too much space when making the transition.

With my limited knowledge in BJJ, one of the things I've had the kids in the club do is a game that Royce did with us in the GRACIE course. Players start in the mount position, and each has a goal; top player, retain the mount; bottom player, get a mount reversal or get one leg out with elbow escape. If the bottom player gets the leg out or reverses, then the roles are switched and the game starts again. Its a good way to get newer students into the idea of active rolling, and learning how to hold position; kind of like a sensitivity drill. Now, I can show your modified mount transition to help the students counter the elbow escape. I hope, anyways.

I liked the second video, too, countering the knee-on-belly, with the ankle pick. Nice working on the opposite side of the drill, too.

I liked the transitional drill, and shared it to our FB page with the DT club. Maybe, I can decipher it and use it as a drill in the upcoming months. Thank you, Alex. Some of the students had questions on the transition from mount to side control, and how to keep from giving too much space when making the transition.

With my limited knowledge in BJJ, one of the things I've had the kids in the club do is a game that Royce did with us in the GRACIE course. Players start in the mount position, and each has a goal; top player, retain the mount; bottom player, get a mount reversal or get one leg out with elbow escape. If the bottom player gets the leg out or reverses, then the roles are switched and the game starts again. Its a good way to get newer students into the idea of active rolling, and learning how to hold position; kind of like a sensitivity drill. Now, I can show your modified mount transition to help the students counter the elbow escape. I hope, anyways.

I liked the second video, too, countering the knee-on-belly, with the ankle pick. Nice working on the opposite side of the drill, too.

Glad it's helpful! As to the transition from side to mount, the key is tight knee control as you're passing and the right angle of your hips to the person on their back, this can drive weight even as you bring the knee over. It's a tiny detail, but one that can provide huge divides as you change top positions or hold a single one.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, thank you, Alex. Do you have trouble maintaining that position if they start trying to buck you off? I saw a bit of that, but perhaps I wasn't keeping control tight enough?

Cool, thank you, Alex. Do you have trouble maintaining that position if they start trying to buck you off? I saw a bit of that, but perhaps I wasn't keeping control tight enough?

Knee on belly can be problematic of the guy on the bottom has a strong upa. That said, he's going to have to shrimp with it to achieve anything. Generally speaking, if they are throwing their hips up, you should be able to ride it out with some sensitivity and grips.

If they start to move laterally, you'll look to capitalize on the movement they are giving you. For instance, rolling towards you will present the D'Arce or far side arm bar.

Also, pay particular attention to the position of your knee. If it's centerline in the lower sternum, you'll be less effected by vertical hip movement. If you're allowing the shin to lay across his belt line, right over the hips, you're more prone to that motion.

Also, be sure that you support foot is off the floor. Often, because we're being nice to our training partner in technique, we leave the ball of the riding foot on the floor. This takes off pressure and again makes it easier to hip up