• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going to Competitions

Shotokannon

Hi Guys,

First of all I love competitions, but it's SUCH a pain to get to them if they're not local (I don't drive) and I personally always feel really downhearted because I never have anybody to go with.

Does anyone else feel like this when going to a competition?

It's so annoying because I love competitions and have done very well in the ones I've been to, but this feeling is always a barrier!

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are fellow students in your dojo into competition as well? We usually get together and car pool to competitions when we go. Maybe organizing a carpool will work.

Our last competition I bowed out so I could watch my children compete, I still wanted to compete though :/

I feel for you, and in that, I understand and feel your frustration!

For the better part of my tournament days, I was living in Southern California, and that means that tournaments, both local and otherwise, were held nearly every week somewhere. Not hard to find!!

Yet, I was lucky! As a kyu student when I was a kid, I could ride my bike or the transit bus or my mom would give me a ride. Albeit, someone at the Hombu, where I trained, would be going and I'd hitch a ride with them. As JBB, I was part of what we called, the Weekend Warriors, which was a tightknit group of us that traveled everywhere in California, with an occasional trip to Las Vegas or Phoenix. The key for that, was our parents provided transportation as well as sponsoring our endeavor.

As an adult, same thing! I'd either drive myself or fly. Usually traveling with someone from the Hombu. However, and even as a kid and adult, I travelled a lot on my own, and those times, man, it's a lonely boring trip there and back. No one to share the experience with!!

As I got older, my tournament days ebbed away as a competitor, but that sadness was quickly replaced with being an Arbitrator at those same tournaments of yesterday. I would usually judge at the gigantic Nationwide tournaments.

Still, I'd either go with someone or I'd travel by myself, and it ended being about 60%-40% ratio of going with someone or by myself.

How many from your dojo compete on a regular basis, including your Sensei/Instructor? Develop a friendship with them, including with your Sensei/Instructor, and in time, you can join one or more of them to tourneys to experience it together. If you're the only one who competes from your dojo, then you're going to have to search for a network, like through Craigslist and/or putting a flyer up at the local MA supply store, if you've one, that is.

Just don't let the fact that you, for now, have to travel alone, deject you from going at all. The experience is invaluable across the board!!

Hang in there, train hard, and train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Are fellow students in your dojo into competition as well? We usually get together and car pool to competitions when we go. Maybe organizing a carpool will work.

Our last competition I bowed out so I could watch my children compete, I still wanted to compete though :/

Solid post!!

To the bold type above...

I was typing that in my post at the same time you posted it! :P

:)

Never really went to a lot of tournaments when I was younger. Was busy with either going to church or boy scouts stuff. Plus when I was younger wasn't that good at kata. And not a fan of point sparring. Though I understand not having kids do full contact.

Teachers are always learning

Was going to say this. Some of my best TKD memories are from travelling with others to events, even better if you get to stay overnight in a hotel.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Was going to say this. Some of my best TKD memories are from travelling with others to events, even better if you get to stay overnight in a hotel.

Yes, oh God yes. Many times I've slept in my car because I couldn't afford a hotel; that wasn't always in my budget.

:spitlaugh:

Going to tournaments when nobody knows you is the best test of yourself and skill.... No hype, no back up, no cheering,etc. Just you and nobody you know.

For me, the best feeling was winning a huge tournament outside of my state being the only one from my dojo competing. Thru the first day of eliminations i dont think anyone knew who i was, just some random guy(which probably played to my advantage as the more well known fighters from the west coast tournaments were reckless ), .. but i think on the finals day they kinda knew who i was. so that anonymity was gone(which also played to my advantage as to my surprise the finalist were overly cautious , go figure).

It is much harder to compete against "unknown" average fighters than "elite" fighters that you fight with every tournament for many years. That "unknown" factor really challenges your strategy and focus.

Good luck! Enjoy the various environments of competing and martial arts.

interesting knowledge