• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Byakuren Kaikan

Kagite

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thank you for your interesting answers, I'll make some more research on them as I'm quite new in Karate and I've started with an actually pretty modern style : )

I'm glad things are looking up! I've had trouble putting things on Wikipedia, in the past, and have pretty much given up on it.

Anyway, could you guys tell me more about the styles you're practicing?

Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan is a pretty large system, as far as the number of practitioners worldwide. Our style originates from Chibana Chosin, but the Shorinkan, itself, was founded by Nakazato Shugoro, one of Chibana's senior students. We practice all of the kata that Chibana learned from Itosu Anko, except for Itosu's Passai Sho. Chibana learned the Passai that was passed down from Matsumura Sokon through the Tawada family, and Itosu told him to pass it on to his students, instead. We also practice the three Kihon Kata that Chibana created, the Fukyu no Kata and Gorin no Kata that Nakazato created, and Gojushiho, which Nakazato learned from his first teacher, before he became a student of Chibana.

Shorin Ryu Shidokan - an organization equally as large as the Shorinkan, the Shidokan schools decended from another one of Chibana's senior students, Katsuya Miyahira. The group I am part of (seperate from most of the Shidokan schools in the US) is under Takeshi Miyagi, who is over in Okinawa. Kata wise we practice Chibana's Kihon kata (plus two more that Miyagi created), Fukyu, Naihanchi, Seisan, Pinan, Passai (Itosu no, Matsumura no, and Kopassai sho), Kusanku (Sho, Dai, Chatanyara no), Gojushiho, Jion, Unsu, Tetsho (Miyahira's kata), and Tensho (Goju Ryu kata), as well as include kobudo (bo, sai, nunchaku, and tonfa) in our curriculum.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky