Doire

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I must have done something right as I passed my first grading today. The kick wasn't perfect but it was a big improvement before I had asked you guys for advice so thanks everyone.

Im well please with myself today!

Congrats; well done and well deserved!! Feels good, huh? :brow:

You'll improve in time!!

:D

Thank you. Yes its a great feeling. 3 months of hard work rewarded.

We had a 74 year old from Japan doing the grading. I believe he is head of the Japanese Federation. I cant remember his name now unfortunately. His flexibility was out of this world and it was a real privilege to have been able to attend one of his training classes today :)

To the bold above...

That's cool to have that type of experience during a testing cycle. To be graded by him is indeed both an honor as well as a privilege; one not to be soon forgotten!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Congrats on passing your grading.

I have a question for you about your side thrust kick (well 2 really)

1. does your style/association do the kick in kiba dachi and step across or stationery from a fighting stance?

2. If you are in kiba dachi and step across (to the side), does your style/association insist on stepping across in front of the standing leg?

I ask as, in my new style, we do side thrust kick from a fighting stance with a double step or switch step to generate the power, however in shotokan, we did the kick in kiba dachi. In shotokan, they used to insist on stepping in front of the standing leg which essentially closed the hips up, however, as I got further up the gradfes and with experience, I learned that this was not something set in stone and started experimenting with stepping behind the standing leg which kept the hips open and helped in generating power and throwing the hip into the technique. Try it sometime.

Congrats on passing your grading.

I have a question for you about your side thrust kick (well 2 really)

1. does your style/association do the kick in kiba dachi and step across or stationery from a fighting stance?

2. If you are in kiba dachi and step across (to the side), does your style/association insist on stepping across in front of the standing leg?

I ask as, in my new style, we do side thrust kick from a fighting stance with a double step or switch step to generate the power, however in shotokan, we did the kick in kiba dachi. In shotokan, they used to insist on stepping in front of the standing leg which essentially closed the hips up, however, as I got further up the gradfes and with experience, I learned that this was not something set in stone and started experimenting with stepping behind the standing leg which kept the hips open and helped in generating power and throwing the hip into the technique. Try it sometime.

It's not Karate but FWIW in my style of Taekwon Do stepping in front is a cardinal sin as it would restrict your hips and make you more likely to get tangled up. Foot behind the standing leg is better, but foot to foot is better still.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius