Can I ask how often you guys stretch? My current routine is as follows

Mon - weight lifting

Tues - Karate

Wed - AM weight lifting, PM stretching

Thurs - Karate

Fri - weight lifting

Sat - AM stretching, PM cycling

Sun - rest day

Should I be stretching more? Its just getting the time to fit it in.

This is the kick Im trying to achieve. Its called Yokogeri with side movements in Kibadachi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZWIp21639c&list=PLzuHdLebOQeKI32EqMx3guQEJhOvspWan&index=28

That's a heck of a dedicated fitness schedule you have there.

Jealous.

Is it yokogeri kekomi (thrust) or keage (snap)?

I only stretch before and after training. This may hinder me at some point in my training but I just don't have the deication to stretch every day.

Something I've been trying to fix for years is that, I can do wonderful yokogeri kekomi with my right leg but not left. And, wonderful yokogeri keage with my left, but not my right...

For side thrust make sure you pivot your supporting leg outward as you throw the kick. During a side snap kick make sure you keep your supporting leg pointed straight forward.

I've seen in the past people forgetting to pivot their supporting legs during both side thrusts and roundhouse kicks and I just have these visions of their knees popping out and oh, it just wouldn't be good.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

So the biggest problem I see is that there are always different ways to doing kicks. The way I learned was in Tae Kwon Do back in 1996, it happens to be the same way as we practice in Tang Soo Do. I was always told that if our foot did not if it's a full 180° as sensei8 eluded to, and it was not proper.

I would say that this thread offer some great ideas on ways to do it but be cautious about how you're supposed to be doing it in your particular place of practice. As in the video posted by the wooden dummy above, the practitioner seems to strike by drawing into the knee and then back out, I would personally never do this, but like I said there are different ways.

I made a tutorial that was intended to be pretty much for my students, much of the videos I do work for my students at home to get a little extra out of them... Check it out maybe it can offer something idk!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Welcome to the forums Doire :)

You have had some excellent advice so far and I'm sure you'll benefit greatly from it.

However honestly whilst its great you want to improve, I wouldn't sweat it too much about the kick. You've been training 4 months and this is your 1st grading. No one has a good side kick after so little time! It's awkward as hell to learn as it isn't a movement most people do naturally.

Personally I think it's very hard to suggest correction without seeing you kick and without knowing the exact preferencea of your Sensei and how he likes the kick to be done. So he or she should really be your 1st port of call for help. That said, I will echo Hawmoon's suggestions of getting the kick right at belt level first and then progressing from there. When practicing, hold onto a chair or wall for support, and practice the kick slower at a lower height over and over again paying special attention to your body positioning and leg action. Then when you are comfortable with this, then you can start trying to increase height and speed.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Your legs work better as scissors than as pliers....rotate the base foot and turn the kicking hip over as you extend the kick. Additionally, a slight arch in the back will keep your upper body in line with the hips keeping you centered and balanced.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

work on flexibility first. never over extend your limitations. if your instructor does not understand(especially a beginner) that you are in your 40's and cannot kick 10"s over you head, you might want to change schools now.

take it easy, enjoy the art.

interesting knowledge

Well I must have done something right as I passed my first grading today. The kick wasn't perfect but it was a big improvement before I had asked you guys for advice so thanks everyone.

Im well please with myself today!

Congrats; well done and well deserved!! Feels good, huh? :brow:

You'll improve in time!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well I must have done something right as I passed my first grading today. The kick wasn't perfect but it was a big improvement before I had asked you guys for advice so thanks everyone.

Im well please with myself today!

Congrats; well done and well deserved!! Feels good, huh? :brow:

You'll improve in time!!

:D

Thank you. Yes its a great feeling. 3 months of hard work rewarded.

We had a 74 year old from Japan doing the grading. I believe he is head of the Japanese Federation. I cant remember his name now unfortunately. His flexibility was out of this world and it was a real privilege to have been able to attend one of his training classes today :)