• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring in your dojo

That's true about pulling punches. I suppose my point isn't just that you will hesitate, but that you may have a difficult time maintaining balance and things like that because your not used to the difference. I personally used to fight as a youngan though and I'm pretty sure I can pull it off, and I can't arrogantly assume I'm the only one who can..

I think it's obviously a person to person thing and results will Bart greatly depending on the persons mental abilities. You one of my favorite posters. You always seem to strike up thought about topics within me, often in my own topics. Good stuff.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A MAist learns to control themselves as well as their techniques. And when it's necessary and important, a MAist will not pull their techniques because that too is controlled.

In time, this is within all MAist...

"I do not hit, it hits all by itself" ~ Bruce Lee

In the 5 decades that I've been training, I learnt, from an early time, the difference from control and deliberate; both vital to a MAist, imho. I control my techniques at all times, whether it be for training or for real, and in that, my techniques are deliberate to said target.

It's up to the Sensei to teach that which is vital. Albeit, it's also up to the student to learn that which is vital. Controlling both at all times.

Listen, we all know what must be done appropriate to the moment. That's what we train!! Our minds know the differences from reality and fiction: reality demands penetration of the target...fiction demands stopping just a fraction away from the target.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The mechanics of throwing anything full force are different than throwing them in the air and throwing them at anything/someone at partial force. You make a great point about balance. If all you do is throw stuff at the air or "pull" your punches or any other strike, when you throw it full force, you could easily end up falling over. My full force roundhouse kick isn't nearly as high as one thrown in the air or against a sparring partner. Not on purpose, but it is what it is.

Heavy bags and shields teach you how to control your body while allowing a level of force that you don't want to generate against a partner.

So a yesterday I worked on a lot of boxing combinations. I didn't pull any punches because I was "shadow boxing". No pads or bags, just seeing my opponent in my mind, and I was thinking about this.

With kicks I think it's even different more so then punches. I think it's easier to punch hard and maintain balance compared to kicking. Also, depending on the kick thrown its not always the same kick, like a roundhouse that the kick goes al the way through and finishes 360 degrees at the starting point.

In some ways this can be great to add into your training because you can do it anywhere, and you don't have to worry about hurting your partner. Quick vid of my workout! http://youtu.be/rUAJBkS2uZY

The mechanics of throwing anything full force are different than throwing them in the air and throwing them at anything/someone at partial force. You make a great point about balance. If all you do is throw stuff at the air or "pull" your punches or any other strike, when you throw it full force, you could easily end up falling over. My full force roundhouse kick isn't nearly as high as one thrown in the air or against a sparring partner. Not on purpose, but it is what it is.

Heavy bags and shields teach you how to control your body while allowing a level of force that you don't want to generate against a partner.

Solid post!!

Resistant must be a constant; heavy bags and the like, provide that resistance!!

;-)

...shin clashes don't you just love 'em!

The 'fight' for a junior is great! she pushes and backs out well.

If I can add a tip.

Shin clashes!

When you block with the leg, try to do so with the foot pulled up, not pointing down!

What you are trying to do is get a certain muscle to 'stand up' and in doing that reduce the potential pain to very little or nothing!

Try this.

Put your foot flat on the floor.

keeping your heel on the floor lift the toes and ball of the foot up.

Now feel the shin, that new lump is the muscle I refer to!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

;-)

If I can add a tip.

Shin clashes!

When you block with the leg, try to do so with the foot pulled up, not pointing down!

What you are trying to do is get a certain muscle to 'stand up' and in doing that reduce the potential pain to very little or nothing!

Try this.

Hey thanks for the compliment on her sparring. I have been working with her quite a bit because there's usually just pushing forward.

As for the shin clash. You can't tell in the video how hard it was, but was hard. Fo her it left a bruise near the knee, for me middle of the shin. You also can't tell but I was wearing shin guards and still left a huge bruise haha. It's at 2:17ish in the video. It looks like she did do it with the toes up, however I was taught to do it with toes down, to avoid toe injury but I can see what your talking about. Also the outside of the calf muscle tightens up as well, which is the primary blocking part for us. Interesting. Thanks for the comments ;)

Solid post!!

Resistant must be a constant; heavy bags and the like, provide that resistance!!

Yes I agree sensei, in this sense I think striking a sparring partner, air, and heavy bags are all great as training parts together.

Solid post!!

Yes I agree sensei, in this sense I think striking a sparring partner, air, and heavy bags are all great as training parts together.

Like Chief Engineer for the Star Ship, Enterprise, Mr. Scott was always quick to point out...

"The right tool for the right job!"

:P

;-)

If I can add a tip.

Shin clashes!

Try this.

Hey thanks for the compliment on her sparring. I have been working with her quite a bit because there's usually just pushing forward.

As for the shin clash. You can't tell in the video how hard it was, but was hard. Fo her it left a bruise near the knee, for me middle of the shin. You also can't tell but I was wearing shin guards and still left a huge bruise haha. It's at 2:17ish in the video. It looks like she did do it with the toes up, however I was taught to do it with toes down, to avoid toe injury but I can see what your talking about. Also the outside of the calf muscle tightens up as well, which is the primary blocking part for us. Interesting. Thanks for the comments ;)

Correct, I/we are taught the same, and hence why I say 'try', it goes against everything, but get that muscle to stand up when the kick comes in attack or defense and life is that much 'nicer'!

Its hard to do, I should have said that in my earlier post, sorry for that , but if 'that' position can be made a default action when defending the game changes!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.