• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring in your dojo

I agree with Bob. In the first video, your standing and spinning counters were very nice, especially that spin hook kick that opened the round. I also noticed that your opponent had a habit hunkering down when you pressed, and you took advantage of that by barraging her with attacks.

I did notice that when you throw the jump reverse side kick (that's what I call it, anyway), you kind of did a double hop before executing the kick, which killed your timing on it. Just food for thought.

Nice job! :karate:

Good eye for spotting the double hop! I confess to this bring deliberate as I was trying it out; not sure whether it's working for me or not, though I guess not by your comment! I recently went on a seminar with a multi ITF and WAKO World Champ Katya Solovey and it was something specific she was teaching as a way of controlling distance and giving yourself time to do the kick. Rather than switching the legs with the kick out and away with the back kick when being rushed, she was advocating creating the distance with the feet and then taking the kick in.

A bit like this;

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of our sparring falls into a continuous realm. We have done point sparring a handful of times just to show the differences. Our contact levels are generally on the low to medium end of contact. We all have jobs or school to go to the next day. On occasion we bump up the contact level, but not too often as too much hard contact leads to injuries. Protective gear is simple, mouth guard and boxing or mma gloves, all males are expected to have a groin cup on when they are in the dojo. Our legal targets are anything from the ankles up, no groin or strikes directly against the joints. Sweeps and throws are allowed, and perhaps a follow up strike once they hit the ground. The length of our rounds vary from 2 minutes up to 5, with between 1 minute to 30 seconds of rest.

Those rounds fly by in the beginning and the rest drags out, later in the night it is the other way around. When numbers allow for it we swap sparring partners every round, which gives you plenty of looks. Changing up the rules can really have an affect on how you do, the strategy you can use. I've sparred with people who don't allow leg kicks and when I hold those back and keep all contact above the waist it changes how I have to move sparring.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I agree with Bob. In the first video, your standing and spinning counters were very nice, especially that spin hook kick that opened the round. I also noticed that your opponent had a habit hunkering down when you pressed, and you took advantage of that by barraging her with attacks.

I did notice that when you throw the jump reverse side kick (that's what I call it, anyway), you kind of did a double hop before executing the kick, which killed your timing on it. Just food for thought.

Nice job! :karate:

Good eye for spotting the double hop! I confess to this bring deliberate as I was trying it out; not sure whether it's working for me or not, though I guess not by your comment! I recently went on a seminar with a multi ITF and WAKO World Champ Katya Solovey and it was something specific she was teaching as a way of controlling distance and giving yourself time to do the kick. Rather than switching the legs with the kick out and away with the back kick when being rushed, she was advocating creating the distance with the feet and then taking the kick in.

A bit like this;

I see what she did there. I think the main difference was that she was retreating, and used the footwork to "plant," in effect, and then using the plant as a platform to drive the kick from.

That kick, right there, as well as the Step Away Roundhouse Kick, is why I started training in TKD for the first place. During my Weekend Warrior days, I was repeatedly getting drawn in, and then, WHAM, POINT!!

What better way to learn your opponents that repeatedly score with kicking attacks that I've never seen before? JOIN A TKD DOJANG!! That's exactly what I did!! Learn the methodology/ideology right from the source!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!