• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring in your dojo

I find this to be a bit of a frustration, purely from a self-defense (and to a point, competition) point of view.

We follow the WKF style rules, so no elbows, knees, joint locks etc however we are allowed to use tobi geri's and tobi uchi's as long as we control properly.

2 adults sparring together are allowed light face contact (though some don't know the meaning of "light"), adults may not contact under 12's in the face with any technique whatsoever and even feints are heavily frowned upon because of the risk of of contact (and therefore injury/retribution from parents which would look bad on the club etc), so we don't do it.

IMHO, I can understand why it's not allowed but it's such a frustration when you've trained that way and gotten used to it, because you go to competition and/or get accosted on the street and they hit you straight in the face!

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. ~ Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the sparring we do in class, which is usually padded in the Olympic style, using Olympic rules, but I would say we tend to have more of a traditional flair to our style. The rules for scoring are typically a body displacement to render a point. Typical of many TKD styles, head kicks are allowed, but not head punching (I know the ITF is excluded in this matter).

We also have testing sparring, which is not padded when done, and usually has a bit less contact levels, but its important for the person sparring to "defend their rank" when they do so, and demonstrate blocking ability, mobility, footwork, and combinations in attacking.

Here is a clip of me testing sparring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7WSCcX3SE

I'm the "stocky" guy...

Thanks for sharing the link Brian. I always find it interesting how different associations and even countries evolve their own style and flair to sparring even though they share the same base and rulesets.

Thanks, Danielle. I do wish we could change things up from time to time, and do some strikes to the head with perhaps some different padding or something. It really changes the strategy, and opens up things for students.

I'd agree the strategy does change. Even though we do head shots, we're limited too, no hooks or uppercuts, straight shots only in tournament. Of course we do train them from time to time but when our sport sparring excludes it, we don't tend to focus on it much.

For comparison, here's some of me (I'm with red gear):

https://youtu.be/qwweN3PR-NE

Yeah, you got skills, Danielle! I like how you constantly pressed her; she's a runner...that's for sure!!

Because you weren't wearing headgear, I'm thinking that headgear wasn't mandatory!!

:)

I noticed your lack of head gear, as well, and it made me jealous. I also noticed that gal ran a lot. Nicely done.

I see a different shift in punching strategy with your match; since the head shots are allowed, it appeared that no one bothered with any body shot punches. I didn't see quite as many head kicks, either, but that makes sense, when the closer tool, the hand, is more viable an option.

So, we see what the different organizations want to emphasize in their training. In the ATA, and with the WTF, head kicking becomes order of the day. In the ITF, with head punches allowed, less head kicking.

But those are just observations from your match here. I'm sure they are not all like that.

We have the sparring we do in class, which is usually padded in the Olympic style, using Olympic rules, but I would say we tend to have more of a traditional flair to our style. The rules for scoring are typically a body displacement to render a point. Typical of many TKD styles, head kicks are allowed, but not head punching (I know the ITF is excluded in this matter).

We also have testing sparring, which is not padded when done, and usually has a bit less contact levels, but its important for the person sparring to "defend their rank" when they do so, and demonstrate blocking ability, mobility, footwork, and combinations in attacking.

Here is a clip of me testing sparring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7WSCcX3SE

I'm the "stocky" guy...

Thanks for sharing the link Brian. I always find it interesting how different associations and even countries evolve their own style and flair to sparring even though they share the same base and rulesets.

Thanks, Danielle. I do wish we could change things up from time to time, and do some strikes to the head with perhaps some different padding or something. It really changes the strategy, and opens up things for students.

I'd agree the strategy does change. Even though we do head shots, we're limited too, no hooks or uppercuts, straight shots only in tournament. Of course we do train them from time to time but when our sport sparring excludes it, we don't tend to focus on it much.

For comparison, here's some of me (I'm with red gear):

https://youtu.be/qwweN3PR-NE

Yeah, you got skills, Danielle! I like how you constantly pressed her; she's a runner...that's for sure!!

Because you weren't wearing headgear, I'm thinking that headgear wasn't mandatory!!

I noticed your lack of head gear, as well, and it made me jealous. I also noticed that gal ran a lot. Nicely done.

I see a different shift in punching strategy with your match; since the head shots are allowed, it appeared that no one bothered with any body shot punches. I didn't see quite as many head kicks, either, but that makes sense, when the closer tool, the hand, is more viable an option.

So, we see what the different organizations want to emphasize in their training. In the ATA, and with the WTF, head kicking becomes order of the day. In the ITF, with head punches allowed, less head kicking.

But those are just observations from your match here. I'm sure they are not all like that.

If I can say this...isn't that the beauty of TKD...the ability to kick to the head; one of the staples of TKD!! Of course, being predominately a proponent of hand strikes and the like, I'm glad to see more punches than kicks. After all, TKD isn't ALL kicks and no Te Waza!! Besides, if one can kick faster than one can punch, then by all means, kick away.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If I can say this...isn't that the beauty of TKD...the ability to kick to the head; one of the staples of TKD!! Of course, being predominately a proponent of hand strikes and the like, I'm glad to see more punches than kicks. After all, TKD isn't ALL kicks and no Te Waza!! Besides, if one can kick faster than one can punch, then by all means, kick away.

FWIW I lost that fight....

Regards to the amount of kicking, I'm a heavyweight so it's not that common and body type is a big factor in how you should spar. Though I thought myself and Brian are reasonable similar so a good comparison. The lower weight division do throw more headshots and are on the whole much more mobile. e.g. . Blue trains at my dojang, same instructor, same training sessions, but the sparring style is different due to body type.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• 2 weeks later...

We mostly do point, but by no means is it light. Typically we use good control to the head and to the back, but the body is fair game. Of course depending on the purpose of the sparring session intensity is varied, from fast and light to fast and heavy.

Also boxing and kickboxing going on, but I haven’t ventured into that as of yet.

Also learned, it’s best not to spar Sensei when he’s training for a fight….lol.

Barnes

Regards to the amount of kicking, I'm a heavyweight so it's not that common and body type is a big factor in how you should spar. Though I thought myself and Brian are reasonable similar so a good comparison. The lower weight division do throw more headshots and are on the whole much more mobile. e.g. . Blue trains at my dojang, same instructor, same training sessions, but the sparring style is different due to body type.

Danielle,

I'm a firm believer that mobility can be disrupted through angling transitions; cut them off at the pass, so to speak! What I do, is not let them complete movements within the range of the given attack. Someone that loves to dart in and out of range can be dealt with by pressing them just as the attack begins to unfold. But this is a dead end if timing is off for one reason or another.

Btw, your link only directs me to a basic YouTube page, and to no specific video, that I can tell. Maybe my 'puter is acting up AGAIN!!

Danielle,

I'm a firm believer that mobility can be disrupted through angling transitions; cut them off at the pass, so to speak! What I do, is not let them complete movements within the range of the given attack. Someone that loves to dart in and out of range can be dealt with by pressing them just as the attack begins to unfold. But this is a dead end if timing is off for one reason or another.

Btw, your link only directs me to a basic YouTube page, and to no specific video, that I can tell. Maybe my 'puter is acting up AGAIN!!

Thanks for the input Bob.

Maybe try this link. https://youtube.com/watch?v=v_8XHSnn1tU%5B%2Furl

We had a tournament today actually. I've been trying to work my footwork a bit more to give me time to get the counter kicks out. Think it worked out quite well.

https://youtu.be/yYKpiVXtpGQ

https://youtu.be/CyioWgn885s

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Danielle,

Thanks for the input Bob.

Maybe try this link. https://youtube.com/watch?v=v_8XHSnn1tU%5B%2Furl

We had a tournament today actually. I've been trying to work my footwork a bit more to give me time to get the counter kicks out. Think it worked out quite well.

https://youtu.be/yYKpiVXtpGQ

https://youtu.be/CyioWgn885s

Video with Max was nice! Thanks for it!

In the two video's with you, Danielle, you were by far the most aggressive between you two; footwork was nice, as well. Your opponents timing was somewhere out there is left field; left a lot to be desired, and you took advantage of that, as you should've. Your footwork wasn't static, and that was nice to see for a change in todays tournaments, but I see, from the videos of yours that I've had the pleasure of watching for quite some time, have improved. NICE JOB!!

Thank you, Danielle for sharing the three videos!!

I agree with Bob. In the first video, your standing and spinning counters were very nice, especially that spin hook kick that opened the round. I also noticed that your opponent had a habit hunkering down when you pressed, and you took advantage of that by barraging her with attacks.

I did notice that when you throw the jump reverse side kick (that's what I call it, anyway), you kind of did a double hop before executing the kick, which killed your timing on it. Just food for thought.

Nice job! :karate: