• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

use stop kicks and counter. of course you need to be quicker then him, and watch for telepathing. There's so many things to do, this is just one of them that you could try. Good Luck

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Building on what the others have said -

Draw his lead.

Since he likes to attack. Step into his range with the idea of stepping out again. When you step in leave yourself intentionally open where you want him to attack. Bait him into throwing a technique. Step out of range, preferably to the side, as he kicks out of his chamber, then step back in with your counter, hard. Then step out again.

As Monkey girl said. Give them something to think about when you are retreating. Pumping your jab as you slide to the outside will keep them honest.

Enshin Karate or Sabaki technique has some great tactics for staying in the blindspot of a larger opponent.

In boxing we just call it lateral movement and playing the angles.

One cannot choose to be passive without the option to be aggressive.

Use more side to side movement , counter then move in and strike on his cold side either stay inside his kicking range or just outside. Do not take him head on you will get a pounding. :karate:

I have felt your pain.......

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Being a really tall guy myself, I may be able to offer some tips concerning what is in his offensive mind concerning his attacks.

I am 6'4.5'' and also have a wide arsenal of kicking combos. I have sparred several blackbelts who are short that have used this particular strategy-

I, as well as many other tall people, have what is called a "kicking circle". This circle is usually long ranged, but it fails to be short ranged most of the time. These fast blackbelts have managed to get inside of this circle and land well timed side kicks into my ribs. Sometimes they do this while ducking and my kick shoots right over their head. If the tall maniac is tossing alot of spin kick combos, definately do sidestepping, and confuse him because his sight is being limited when he spins (or that could be just me). Sometimes, you need to compensate by having fast hands. If you do, you can do something like a step-into-hook kick followed by a boxing combo which will hopefully pummel his gut. The purpose of the hook kick is to eliminate a given offensive technique thrown at you.

We tall guys may have some early advantages in fighting, but in the end we are definately not invincible- which I'm sure you will discover soon. :karate:

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

I would suggest you try to time him when he is about to kick. When you see it coming you must jam his kick. It is better to be closer to him then outside of his range. You can also throw some fakes and like it has been previously mentioned move side to side.

Don't feel bad, I have been have the same problem when I spar one of the black level guys in my class. But I started jamming their kick and i punish their bodies everytime.

In search of the Temple of Light

i had a problem with the spinning side kick of one of our full contact guys, he kept nailing me! after a while he showed me how to read the move & step in to his off side imediately-repeat imediately,& at the same time through a right to his head. it works great!

• 1 month later...
When I was in boxing, I was conciderd a big guy. But there was a bigger guy than me, and I had the same problem. I was not used to fighting taller people, so I was sort of lost, but I still held my own. The next time I spared with him i would wait for him to through any punch then I would slip it over my sholder (away from his other hand) and drill him with a hook into the ribs, once I was in he could not het me out and I could controll the match. I am not sure if this will help because this is for punching, but if you wait for him to through then slide in, it would work.

Boxing - "Tommy Gordon Amateur Boxing Club"

Tae Kwon Do - "East Coast Tae Kwon Do"

• 2 weeks later...
deflect his leg?foot with one of ur hands, don't hold onto it just push it out of the way, than when hes off balance go in for the kill

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

Well Hi all sorry for the late introduction after registering a few weeks back to this great site.

How I deal with guys that I spar with, who just want to keep you on the end of there feet. I spar with several folks who just want to kick, and well you have to be lightning fast to block and grab the kicks, then put them on there arse. Easier said than done, but my favourite method is jamming, jamming is used when your oponent does a spinning cresent kick, turning side kick, mostly all spinning kicks and spinning backfist which we do use. When they spin and there back is facing you, you ram your knee into there back causing them to loose balance and face hitting the deck with a nice sweep of your own.

Like I say you have to be very fast, but fighting such big guys can prove to be fatal for them as they move very slow. Especialy tall guys, I find sparing with taller guys than me tend to be a little slower at raising there feet. With this advantage you can see what they are about to do, I have never sparred with a guy taller than me who is faster, the same goes to guys who are of a much larger build. Never look at your opponents feet or fists, always stare them in the eye, you see more by looking into the eyes.

Having said this I am about to take my first dan grade, and I am also instructing in order to pass this grade aswell as passing the grade on knowledge and techniques. But one of my tasks is getting a very tall guy ready for his very first fight which takes place in March this year.

Needless to say he is a very young man, and kicks as hard as a donkey, but is also slow because of his height against me.

This is something we are both currently working on, as I see all his kicks coming before they connect but the odd one does slip through my guard :bawling:.

Anyway said enough I think,lots of advice here and hope you get some results with your next sparring match. Failing this get inside and work the body, stay very close not allowing him to keep you at a distance picking you off with his feet.