• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Had a painful experience during my last training session. I was paired of with a big guy to spar (we were both same grade). Normally I enjoy a good sparring session but this guy really took the fun out of it. You see he used a lot of fast strong kicks to my stomach(side kicks and spinning). I figure he was trying to wind me. What ever I tried I just couldnt get close enough to counter, he has a huge reach with his legs. Any time i got within striking distance he attempted a sweep which threw me of balance, and then he moved out of range.

Can anyone offer some tips as to how I could get close enough to hit him and reduce the punishment on my stomach(my muscles tightend uncontrollable and uncomfortable the next day when I was doing some lifting and carrying at work)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close the gap, keep moving, keep calm, wait for the right strike and lock his arms up good. ;) thats what I would do.

Ofcourse if that does not work then I would draw my katana and cut him in half, but you guys dont use those, so go for the first one. lol :)

Take Care.

Learn quick footwork so you can move inside/outsideside to side, really fast.

Remember always try to outsmart your oponent, He may be bigger than you but you should try to be more smart than he's. Try to make that person fight the way you want to, don't play his game or you'll get kicked again.

Footwork is the key, IMO. Going "head to head" is not going to work. Try working on some different angles and quick combinations. Outsmart vs. overpower. Good luck.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thanks for the quick replies. Last time we spared i tried get in inside the reach of his legs but the sweeps put me of balance. He didn't throw many punches, just roundhouse, side and spin side kicks. I'll try quicker foot work next time or maybe if I'm quick of the mark I can stay close for the round.

Well I would say try to block and counter attack like he throws a kick at you block it and then do something so that you can have a chance to hit him with a few shots maybe.

Maybe even step back when he kicks and then attack or just work on your footwork like said before and try to move faster if you can.

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

Being a small person myself, I can tell you that trying to get in range right away or block kicks can be next to impossible, and even dangerous. What I find to be most effective:

MESS WITH HIS MIND!! MUAHAHAHAA!!! Here's some tips :D

Try to stay just out of his range. This way you have more time to see his speedy and powerful kicks coming. As you see him come in for the attack (by the sounds of it, he usually makes the first move), SIDESTEP. Don't just go back and forth like a tennis match. If you're standing sideways in a fighting stance, you'll be going sideways in relation to HIM, but this will actually be more like walking backwards or forwards.

When sidestepping, you generally want to step towards his back. This is because there are much fewer techniques for him to counter with when you're close to his back than his front. From there (You need to be quick about it), you can use a roundhouse kick to his chest, backfist strike to his head, anything you can get. Perhaps even a spinning back hook kick/wheel kick. You can either throw a single strike, or put together a quick combination. Combos are best ;)

After that strike, you want to retreat back out of his range, but don't just back up. Throw some retreating strikes like a fade-away back kick or a retreating jump side kick. You may not be familiar with these, but I think you will get the idea.

Hope that helps!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.