• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes a good instructor?

Someway or somewhere I'm sure I am repeating myself. Last night I was teaching and I had a situation come up but I made a split decision. I added a new class a few months back, it was for 4 & 5 year olds. Originally intended to never teach this age as I enjoy the older kids or adults better because they can retain much of what I'd like to teach. One thing led to another and the recreation center really wanted me to try this class and I figured it would help me grow as a school so I gave it a shot.

I had a situation come up in this class that I did not handle correctly, on the way home I looked to my wife and said "why did I not just do this, instead of that". She asked what I meant and I explained to her why I should have done something else. Long story short I think it is so very important to be open as a person in life in order to learn, & I think the same is true to be a great instructor. I never think myself great, I think to myself I always have room to grow and get better and better and even better. In my mind if I chase perfection it is much more likely that I will one day reach greatness.

PS it is also worth noting that it could be very difficult to find a great instructor in every age group. I am a better instructor with adults and older kids, the younger they get the more I work hard because I know it is someone of a short coming for me, not that I don't enjoy it butts I find it more difficult to integrate fun with karate disciplined sometimes, with the older children and adults of course it's easier because they can retain so much more information. Only on very rare occasion do you find an instructor who is just great at all of it. As in my signature here, hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent. Some people will have it come to them more naturally but that does not mean that others can't outwork them. To all you students who hope to become instructors, have faith in yourself and go for it.

Solid post!! Not every instructor can teach 4-5 year olds; it takes a special instructor to do so successfully. And you're right, it is "playing" because that's how they learn, and how they retain, even if it's a miniscule of information...patience is greatly needed to teach that age group.

Everyone knows that when it comes to that age group, I'm nothing more than a big kid. That age group responds to that silly instructor who they can play with.

If I may ask...

What happened that made you make that statement to your wife??

:)

Have you taught that age group? 4 and 5 year olds?

Teachers are always learning

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someway or somewhere I'm sure I am repeating myself. Last night I was teaching and I had a situation come up but I made a split decision. I added a new class a few months back, it was for 4 & 5 year olds. Originally intended to never teach this age as I enjoy the older kids or adults better because they can retain much of what I'd like to teach. One thing led to another and the recreation center really wanted me to try this class and I figured it would help me grow as a school so I gave it a shot.

I had a situation come up in this class that I did not handle correctly, on the way home I looked to my wife and said "why did I not just do this, instead of that". She asked what I meant and I explained to her why I should have done something else. Long story short I think it is so very important to be open as a person in life in order to learn, & I think the same is true to be a great instructor. I never think myself great, I think to myself I always have room to grow and get better and better and even better. In my mind if I chase perfection it is much more likely that I will one day reach greatness.

PS it is also worth noting that it could be very difficult to find a great instructor in every age group. I am a better instructor with adults and older kids, the younger they get the more I work hard because I know it is someone of a short coming for me, not that I don't enjoy it butts I find it more difficult to integrate fun with karate disciplined sometimes, with the older children and adults of course it's easier because they can retain so much more information. Only on very rare occasion do you find an instructor who is just great at all of it. As in my signature here, hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent. Some people will have it come to them more naturally but that does not mean that others can't outwork them. To all you students who hope to become instructors, have faith in yourself and go for it.

Solid post!! Not every instructor can teach 4-5 year olds; it takes a special instructor to do so successfully. And you're right, it is "playing" because that's how they learn, and how they retain, even if it's a miniscule of information...patience is greatly needed to teach that age group.

Everyone knows that when it comes to that age group, I'm nothing more than a big kid. That age group responds to that silly instructor who they can play with.

If I may ask...

Well your right about how they learn. I am still learning how to be more fun because Im more rigid in a lot of ways.

As to what happened it really wasnt a big deal, I always converse with my wife after class, she helps put as needed every night, BUT what happened was I had a new student, 2nd day in and he was crying. He was crying to the point he wouldnt talk to me. I was doing a relay race with 2 lines of kids 3 in each line. My 2 daughters also help me in class and were holding pads. The goal was to run to the front wall of the gym, and run back and perform the chosen technuiqe such as jump front kick and so on. I stopped to try and get the new kid into class and he wouldnt so I said ok and went on with the races.

So, what i did wrong is what my instructor who taught me how to teach taught me... "dont ever let a kid stand around". Why would a parent pay for their kid to stand there? What i should have done is get one of my helpers to go work with him, or get a helper to take over the races so I could work with this kid. I had the help, so I had no excuse.

Sounds so simple but to me I was so aggravated that I let him fall by the wayside. Its little things like that, that I work at every class to get better. When i taught for somebody else I always taught the 8yr oldand up classes the best. So when we debate a good instructor, I think its important to look at many things, because theres many different facets to what we do. The important thing is to get better. Sorry, I feel like im venting now lol.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

If I may ask...

Well your right about how they learn. I am still learning how to be more fun because Im more rigid in a lot of ways.

As to what happened it really wasnt a big deal, I always converse with my wife after class, she helps put as needed every night, BUT what happened was I had a new student, 2nd day in and he was crying. He was crying to the point he wouldnt talk to me. I was doing a relay race with 2 lines of kids 3 in each line. My 2 daughters also help me in class and were holding pads. The goal was to run to the front wall of the gym, and run back and perform the chosen technuiqe such as jump front kick and so on. I stopped to try and get the new kid into class and he wouldnt so I said ok and went on with the races.

So, what i did wrong is what my instructor who taught me how to teach taught me... "dont ever let a kid stand around". Why would a parent pay for their kid to stand there? What i should have done is get one of my helpers to go work with him, or get a helper to take over the races so I could work with this kid. I had the help, so I had no excuse.

Sounds so simple but to me I was so aggravated that I let him fall by the wayside. Its little things like that, that I work at every class to get better. When i taught for somebody else I always taught the 8yr oldand up classes the best. So when we debate a good instructor, I think its important to look at many things, because theres many different facets to what we do. The important thing is to get better. Sorry, I feel like im venting now lol.

I get a strong sense deep in my gut that you're an excellent instructor; one I could learn a lot from, and not because I'm an adult!!

I learned that kids that age can't, and shouldn't be forced to go to class. By that I mean, if the kid, being that young, is crying, it's best to let that kid return to one of the parents for some comforting. Let that student watch from the sidelines by whomever, including if that person is YOU, and before you know it, that student will be in class, to your surprise. Kids watching other kids having a blast make them want to join in because they don't want to miss all of the fun, nor do they want the other kids having all of the fun without them. It's like a fly drawn into the light...they can't help themselves. Could be that that kid is scared for some reason(s), and usually, it's the new environment and the activity that the MA requires; can be very intimidating, as well as horrific for them. With one of the parents encouragement, IN TIME, the kid will or will not join class. Parents will pay, but only for so long before the parent says enough is enough.

Formality and etiquette is important, but, for the moment, that's for another day and time!! Remember, the CI sets the tone!!

Had it been me, in your shoes, I would've had one or both of your daughter(s) buddy-up with this student. Why? One, your daughters are female, and not a man. To a child, a female is less intimidating than the big scary barking man. A female instructor is more nurturing, and if I may say, more mothering than we male instructors can be.

Your daughter(s) playing with this student, in any way to earn trust and security and comfort, will go quite along way. Also, this will show the parent(s) that a genuine concern and interest is being given. The parent(s) will not think that their wasting any of their hard earned money.

In time, I'd slowly ease myself in with the daughter(s) as a joined play mate. Easing MA activities, but not until that student starts relaxing and trusting and not experiencing parent separation anxiety. After all, who does a child that old want to be with? MOM...maybe Dad, but for certain, MOM!!

You've two daughters! Both in the MA! Both were once that young! Your a dad! Your a male! The way that you taught your daughters, teach that very young student the same way!! The way you played with your daughter when they were that very young, play with that very young student the same way.

It takes a special instructor to teach students that young; not all great instructors can. You're a great instructor; TEACH!!

Don't give up on that student and/or parent(s) as of yet. Time heals all wounds and this little one needs some healing from you, your daughters, and the parent(s).

Hang in there...you got this!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hate to be so straight forward with this post.

BUT HERE GOES.

As a instructor , I would teach what benefits the majority of the class. If i have 30 students(kids) in front of me and 29 are training very hard and serious and 1 is crying, fooling around, slacking,etc i will basically worry about the 29 students over the 1. Sometimes even ignoring that 1 "other" student.(barring it is not injury or medical related). Most times a parent or fellow student can take that child(crying) out of class and find out what is going on and tell me later.

After class i will talk to that 1 student and parents if needed.

there is no way a instructor can be 100% likable and a perfect "match" with every single student he teaches . Impossible.

To think one is a perfect instructor is already being "imperfect".

what i see in GENERAL:

5yr - 7yr = highest turnover

8-12yr = easiest to teach.

teens = best technically but will be going off to college or quit for other interest

18-25yrs= train the hardest, but are the "poorest" demographics.

26yr -35yrs = strongest core for a long running dojo.

45- 60yrs= some higher ranks will expose themselves(egos,rank,envy,etc) very sad and disappointing to see as a instructor. Many instructors would rather be a Chief instructor of 5 students than be a instructor in a large organization.

Good luck. experience is the best teacher.

interesting knowledge

I don't think your approach is a bad one, Maybetrue. Everyone does things a bit differently, and I agree that an instructor must have the class's best interest as a whole in mind. If the child is absolutely inconsolable, then it may be necessary to have the sit out until they feel comfortable enough to join in. Usually, if that child sees other kids playing a game or a relay and having fun, they will want to join in on their own.

I also agree that a good approach is having an assistant or a higher ranked student be able to break off and try to ascertain the issue with the student, and try to get them involved.

Sensei8, I appreciate the comments and encouraging words. I don't know what makes you feel somebody li I e you could learn from me but thanks.

I agree and I think we're pretty much on the same page here, and as I said If I had it to do over I should have had my kids deal with the child. I hear what your saying about them relating to him in one way or another. You see, they help me in this way often. If it was just me out there it would be so hard to make the environment seem the same with the kid energy that can relate to the kids. They are 10, and 13 and really make kids feel at home in that age group/class.

You know it's probably good for its own topic but I struggle with fun vs structure often. Being somewhat fun and silly comes natural to me, and being structured in class does as well, but I find it hard to be as loose as I need to be and let go of structure as much as I need to, to really be a great 4-5 yr old instructor. I have seen some guys that are really goofy and have that energy like you said, and it's not as easy to me. I do pretty good, but again it's a real process I'm working really hard at. Thanks for the comments and words of encouragent again!

Maybe true lol, man we are really just different people but I really do respect you as a person. I hear what your saying, BUT in the end I feel that (especially if an instructor has help) it's my job to attend to all kids there. There are times I have to just keep going, and a kid must work it out but I could never feel I gave 100 percent as a business if I let that happen while I have help from somebody in teaching. In fact it's the reason they are there. I can run large groups without help, but where I need help is the kids that stray from the group for whatever reason.

As to your numbers, I can't speak for any students over 15. I took over my location from the studio I trained with, they left so I'm alone. They were their 9 years, and tried to get adults for a long time. I also tried and ha e pretty much given up trying after 6 months. For some reason the Rec center just doesn't pull adults like a stand alone. Anyways, my biggest turnover group (for reasons I can't figure out) is the 6-7 yr olds. 8-13 is my largest group and was for the last business 9 yrs straight. I can say they are the easiest for myself as well. However, the older they are in general I fond the easier it seems as they can make adjustments more easily without such confusion. Sometimes I explain something, even show it and they look like I'm breaking down algebra haha.

Luther, teaching kids is a tough endeavor. But just keep working at it; it gets easier. Some advise I would give is this; just be you. Even though you see someone you wish you could teach like, just work on being yourself. Kids will smell a fake if you try to fake it. Be you, and let you come out. Eventually, you will find you style when it comes to kids, how you relate to them, etc. And you will always be learning. :)

Luther, teaching kids is a tough endeavor. But just keep working at it; it gets easier. Some advise I would give is this; just be you. Even though you see someone you wish you could teach like, just work on being yourself. Kids will smell a fake if you try to fake it. Be you, and let you come out. Eventually, you will find you style when it comes to kids, how you relate to them, etc. And you will always be learning. :)

Hey thanks man, I get what your saying. I just haven't completely found my identity as an instructor to 4-5yr olds. I'm getting there, but not completely at the level of comfortabilty or confidence, or even skill as an instructor as I could be.

Honestly I went through a really great instructor program and taught a good deal of classes so I had the experience teaching ages 6 and up. I never did the 4-5yr olds so I lack the most experience there. As time goes by confidence and abilities grow, so I'm getting there. Thanks for the positive feedback Brian? My real name is Lex BTW. Lex like superman's nemesis, which is where I got Luther haha. Thanks again man.

If I may ask...

Have you taught that age group? 4 and 5 year olds?

Yes, I have! Ever since 1970 when I was a JBB, and even more so when I opened my own dojo in 1977!

I don't think your approach is a bad one, Maybetrue. Everyone does things a bit differently, and I agree that an instructor must have the class's best interest as a whole in mind. If the child is absolutely inconsolable, then it may be necessary to have the sit out until they feel comfortable enough to join in. Usually, if that child sees other kids playing a game or a relay and having fun, they will want to join in on their own.

I also agree that a good approach is having an assistant or a higher ranked student be able to break off and try to ascertain the issue with the student, and try to get them involved.

I agree with both Maybetrue and you, Brian. Whenever I have this happen, I make sure that that students not left alone, and that someone interacts, as needed, with that student while I continue teaching the rest of the class. I don't stop everything to tend to one student because it's not fair to the class. I've meeting with staff all of the time, and one of the things that I address is what we're talking about. Once all of the staff know what to do when this happens, I don't have to direct them as to what to do because they already know what to do; it happens automatically so as to not disrupt the class.