• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30 man kumite

muttley

Hi all

I am re-reading "Waking Dragons" again since returning to training and it has sparked my imagination as to what it would be like to undergo the challenge of a 30 man kumite.

I know I have only just started as a novice again and this is not something I would be looking at doing imminently, but it something I would like to train for, unfortunately time is not really on my side as I turn 40 next year!

Has anyone ever done the 30 man kumite challenge at all?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I did a modified 25 man kumite during my shodan test. We all wore standard dipped foam hand, foot, and head gear. It was pretty heavy contact and basically knockdown rules, only the round never ended early. We didn't have 25 different black belts; about 15 or so, so we fought against most people twice, but they had more than long enough time to be fully recovered.

My arms and legs were covered in bruises. My wrists to elbows looked like camouflage. I had a few on my chest, but none on my face/head. I honestly think people wouldn't have hit as hard if they were bare knuckle. The two of us testing did the kumite after everything else in the test.

How they go really depends on the people you're facing. They can easily knock you out towards the end if they want to. You need a core of people you can trust to push you as hard as possible while wanting you to get through it. They can't let you rest, but they can't go all out at every second either. It's an honor to be asked to attempt the feat (for lack of s better word), and they should always keep this in mind.

After 25 rounds (2.5 minutes each with no rest at all between, other than time to bow to the next opponent), we had about a 30 second water break, then we sparred each other for 3 minutes. The first minute was like Hagler vs Hearns because we were all fired up and gave it everything we had because we knew it was over afterward, but we ran out of gas. If there was a video of it, I'd imagine the last 2 minutes would look like zombies trying to dance around.

We tested on a Saturday. Being 23 at the time, I was back in the dojo on Monday. Being 39 now, if that was today, I'd be back in 2 weeks!

YouTube some 100 man kumites. I like Hajime Kazumi's. Most people who've done the 100 man kumite spent a few days in the hospital afterward. Legend has it that Shigeru Oyama (no relation to Mas Oyama) went to 131 before Mas Oyama said it was enough, and didn't need any medical attention. Talk about tough.

Hi all

I am re-reading "Waking Dragons" again since returning to training and it has sparked my imagination as to what it would be like to undergo the challenge of a 30 man kumite.

I know I have only just started as a novice again and this is not something I would be looking at doing imminently, but it something I would like to train for, unfortunately time is not really on my side as I turn 40 next year!

Has anyone ever done the 30 man kumite challenge at all?

Havent done 30 man kumite. But if you want to watch, watch videos of old Mas Oyama sensei's students doing the 100 man kumite. There are a few of those on youtube. PS: I really enjoyed reading 'Waking Dragons'.

• 3 weeks later...

We did unlimited man kumite(until you could not get up) for dan initiations . It was discontinued in the 1990's because too many people got hurt and the liability. Huge crowds would show up for the initiations . it was a blood bath , but it seems that the "initiations" are the most fond memories people that trained have and still talk about till today.

interesting knowledge

We did unlimited man kumite(until you could not get up) for dan initiations . It was discontinued in the 1990's because too many people got hurt and the liability. Huge crowds would show up for the initiations . it was a blood bath , but it seems that the "initiations" are the most fond memories people that trained have and still talk about till today.

First off...Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

Secondly...

The trail by fire, ah, memories, both fond and OUCH!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!