• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I dread doing _______ in class!

I don't have calluses, but I got new blisters from the double training we had yesterday. It was the last this year and we played almost anything with or without a ball :)

I've "received" a ball in the face. My nose is a little swollen and darker :bawling: Hope it will heal. I don't want Santa to see me like this. He'd think I'm doing karate :D :D :D

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dread working with a certain someone...i just can't stand him, and when it comes to to spar, he chickens out...i can't stand it...like when we're working on a technique for instance passing the guard, he'll try to submit u...i just can't stand him...i also take a karate and really dislike kata

"razor elbows, killer knees, iron fists and monster kicks"

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

I'm not too fond of doing kata.

I don't actually dislike them, its just the fact that I am totally clueless with them, and the rest of the class seem to take them in their stride while I'm clumping around like an elephant. Everyone else seems to perform them so gracefully, and I can hardly remember the first few movements of each! ARGH!

I also hate it when we've to do free sparring. I've only been doing karate for about 5 months and I've only had to free spar a couple of times, but I really don't know where to start with it. When you ask anyone how to do it they always just tell you to punch and kick randomly and block whatever's coming at you, but I usually end up just standing looking like an extra for Forrest Gump. :(

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

Cheeky,

I used to hate sparring, but it comes down to practice, practice, and more practice. I used to be just like you. I would just stand there with a "hit me" sign on my forhead LOL. Now I can hold my own, eventhough I'm still not great at sparring. But I'm getting better :)

So, just get in there and use it as a learning experience, not a "beating." Think of what "you could have done" when so and so did this technique. Then use it next time. That's what I did (still do) and it worked for me :)

Laurie F

Push ups !!!

In my class we usually do push ups everytime we warm up. We do the normal kind, but we also do push ups on our knuckles, really weird swooping push ups ( going down and pushing forward and then up and backwards). The instructors sometimes try to get the students to do one handed push ups, but very few of the students have the upper body strength to do them (but we try hard! :) :) :)

Also when we do pushups at my school we usually have to follow the instructors count of half down, hold, all the way down, hold, etc.

I LOVE kata.

Green Belt-Shotokan Karate

Backroll-standups: Where you drop into a back break-fall, come forward into a squat position and stand straight up. This is ussually combined with pushups, jumping jaks, squat thrusts etc.

Nobody wants to fight, but someone needs to know how.

Cheeky,

I used to hate sparring, but it comes down to practice, practice, and more practice. I used to be just like you. I would just stand there with a "hit me" sign on my forhead LOL. Now I can hold my own, eventhough I'm still not great at sparring. But I'm getting better :)

So, just get in there and use it as a learning experience, not a "beating." Think of what "you could have done" when so and so did this technique. Then use it next time. That's what I did (still do) and it worked for me :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. I must admit, my class is pretty good with me. Even if I spar with someone quite high ranked or someone a lot older (and bigger!!) than me, they don't try and hurt me or anything.

Once I'd to spar with my sensei and I was really nervous as this guy is totally evil (I honestly think he's possessed by Satan) and I really thought he would just go at it and hit me if I didn't block in time, but he was actually nice and didn't beat me up. I was so happy! :lol:

I just feel a bit of an idiot when everyone else is hopping around, throwing kicks and punches and I'm just standing there looking clueless! :cry:

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.