• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just got my Shureido Gi in the mail!!

chiliphil1

Hey everyone, I have been asking around for a while about the Shureido K-10 Gi, lots of questions about various things, well the time has finally come and I was able to order! I got it from discountmas.com and I am pleased with my transaction.

The Gi is unbelievable, it is of the highest quality imaginable, it it much better than I even thought it could be! The thread work is perfect, the material is absolutely amazing, has the light blue tint to it, absolutely beautiful. I am amazed at the feel of this gi, the lapels feel stiff as a board but soft as a pillow, it's hard to describe. I would say without doubt that it is worth every cent that I spent on it.

While ordering the gi I also got one of their black obi's as well and again, just unbelievable. The quality is perfect, the belt is heavy, it weighs easily double or more than my old century belts. I am just blown away with how well made these items are. In fact even the material itself is just mind boggling.

While I ordered these I also purchased a Ronin brand gi in black. I wanted to mention it here too because it is equally impressive. The material is a little rougher than the shureido, and it weighs more. It is stiff when compared to the Shureido but it is also very very well made. I don't think you could possibly do better for the price of this gi, if you are in the market I would recommend this brand for sure! I will caution you however that these do run quite large. The shureido is a 4.5 and fits very well but the Ronin is a 5 and is much too big. I am 5'7" and 215lbs (injury has really packed it on!!)

I won't bash any brands out there but as an American student I grew up wearing century, there is nothing wrong with this brand and always wearing century you get used to it and think that it is what they are all like. I can say with certainty that there is no comparison. The century gear is good but the Japanese gi is at least 1,000 steps above. If you want something that is the absolute best of the best, you just cannot go wrong with Shureido, pricey but worth it.

Here is a photo I snapped, you can really see the quality of the material and thread, notice the blue tint!

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/chiliphil1/IMG_0119_zpsczl7ek46.jpg

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I miss my K-10. I wore one before I took my 15 year hiatus from karate. It somehow got lost in one of the 4 moves between grad school and my current house.

Everything you said is spot on about it. To me, it's the perfect gi. The most impressive thing to me was that I worked out in it for an average of 2-3 hours, 4 days a week for 5 years, and it was just as white as the day the blue tint went away. My tailor told me the blue tint was ultraviolet brightener (I think those are the words), and it is used to keep it from turning yellow and/or gray over the course of time. I had a Century heavyweight beforehand, and that's what just about everyone else wore. They'd turn colors in about 6 months. The shureido stayed white.

I just recently bought a Ronin heavyweight (12 oz.) in white. Great for the money and cut almost exactly like the K-10, but it's no K-10. M definitely satisfied with it, but I'll buy a Shureido when I have the disposable income.

For future reference, Shureido USA will do full alterations and will mix pants and jacket sizes. Not sure how much for extensive alterations, but they quoted me $10 for sleeves and $10 for pant length. They quoted me $178 for a size 5 K-10.

I didn't buy one as I had some stuff come up, but they'll have you measure yourself in a bunch of places and get you the best fitting off the shelf jacket and pants. You pay a bit more, but you get your money's worth with them.

Their weapons are equally top notch. I had a bo, and several guys I trained with had their sais. At the same impeccable level as their gis.

Shureido vs Tokaido is a common argument. A classmate had a Tokaido Ultimate, and it was the K-10's equal in every way IMO. Cut very different though - Shureido is a stocky guy's gi, whereas Tokaido is a tall and narrow guy's gi.

Just a bit of an FYI. I'm jealous of your gi!

EDIT: I was quoted $178 for a K-11, not a K-10.

Edited by JR 137

I miss my K-10. I wore one before I took my 15 year hiatus from karate. It somehow got lost in one of the 4 moves between grad school and my current house.

Everything you said is spot on about it. To me, it's the perfect gi. The most impressive thing to me was that I worked out in it for an average of 2-3 hours, 4 days a week for 5 years, and it was just as white as the day the blue tint went away. My tailor told me the blue tint was ultraviolet brightener (I think those are the words), and it is used to keep it from turning yellow and/or gray over the course of time. I had a Century heavyweight beforehand, and that's what just about everyone else wore. They'd turn colors in about 6 months. The shureido stayed white.

I just recently bought a Ronin heavyweight (12 oz.) in white. Great for the money and cut almost exactly like the K-10, but it's no K-10. M definitely satisfied with it, but I'll buy a Shureido when I have the disposable income.

For future reference, Shureido USA will do full alterations and will mix pants and jacket sizes. Not sure how much for extensive alterations, but they quoted me $10 for sleeves and $10 for pant length. They quoted me $178 for a size 5 K-10.

I didn't buy one as I had some stuff come up, but they'll have you measure yourself in a bunch of places and get you the best fitting off the shelf jacket and pants. You pay a bit more, but you get your money's worth with them.

Their weapons are equally top notch. I had a bo, and several guys I trained with had their sais. At the same impeccable level as their gis.

Shureido vs Tokaido is a common argument. A classmate had a Tokaido Ultimate, and it was the K-10's equal in every way IMO. Cut very different though - Shureido is a stocky guy's gi, whereas Tokaido is a tall and narrow guy's gi.

Just a bit of an FYI. I'm jealous of your gi!

I definitely went through that argument myself. The hardest thing is trying to find someone who has actually had hands on both of them. I think in the end I read enough posts to decided to go Shureido. I think also the fact that their belt is commonly referred to as the best on the market helped. I wanted them to match, how GQ of me!

The stocky part too, I am not nor will I ever be a tall skinny guy, even when I don't have the extra pounds that my injury has given me I am always a stocky guy so reading that Shureido was cut a little fuller than Tokaido helped me to make the choice, that and the $85 price difference in favor of Shureido helped too! [/u]

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

I recently got my order from shureido USA a few months ago. They did a mix and match with a tk-10 and k-10 (I went directly to their shop and did my fittings there). While the quality of the gi is perfect, I must say I am still more comfortable with my Mugen Gi. I've always preferred KI Gis (which make Mugen), and personally are my favorite. Again, while shureido is a second to none Gi, it is all about personal preference.

I recently got my order from shureido USA a few months ago. They did a mix and match with a tk-10 and k-10 (I went directly to their shop and did my fittings there). While the quality of the gi is perfect, I must say I am still more comfortable with my Mugen Gi. I've always preferred KI Gis (which make Mugen), and personally are my favorite. Again, while shureido is a second to none Gi, it is all about personal preference.

Clothing (uniforms are a type of clothes, after all) is such a personal thing. There's so many factors that it's impossible for anyone to be able to tell someone else exactly what they'll like. Several current classmates wear KI Mugen gis. They're good gis, but they're not for me. I own a KI 14oz heavyweight, having taken it for a few bucks extra over the free pajamas version of a gi when I signed up. It's a good gi, but the cut doesn't feel exactly right and it's too heavy for my taste. A lot of my classmates love them.

Different horses for different courses.

Clothing (uniforms are a type of clothes, after all) is such a personal thing. There's so many factors that it's impossible for anyone to be able to tell someone else exactly what they'll like. Several current classmates wear KI Mugen gis. They're good gis, but they're not for me. I own a KI 14oz heavyweight, having taken it for a few bucks extra over the free pajamas version of a gi when I signed up. It's a good gi, but the cut doesn't feel exactly right and it's too heavy for my taste. A lot of my classmates love them.

I had all my KI Gis tailored for me. An extra 15-20 dollars and they are perfect for me. I have heavyweight model which is perfect in winter and the lighter model for spring and summer. I do admit though the shureido is much softer and I love the snap in it. I'm not giving up on it just yet, but my KIs will always be in my closet.

I had all my KI Gis tailored for me. An extra 15-20 dollars and they are perfect for me. I have heavyweight model which is perfect in winter and the lighter model for spring and summer. I do admit though the shureido is much softer and I love the snap in it. I'm not giving up on it just yet, but my KIs will always be in my closet.

I like my KI heavyweight. Biggest issue is the jacket is too short and doesn't stay tied. After about 6 months, it's starting to turn gray. I only wash it with whites, so it's like something bled into it. And it's way too heavy, but I sweat stinging still, so take that as you will.

Ronin's ties are the best I've seen. They've stayed tied no matter what so far.

What I do is order a size or two bigger and always get is altered. This gives me a lot of room and the customization just puts it to my specs. I've noticed the grey part too but but I guess that's just part of the trade off. Since the price isn't to bad I don't take much issue with it. I wash my Gis alone,inside out with a white towel in there with it. I've noticed that helps. Believe it or not I actually have grown accustomed, and prefer the weight to it. And when you train with a lighter Gi after you really notice it. But like you said different horse, different course.

A great gi, I'm sure you'll have many, many years of great training in it.

Fabulous snap effect on those gis.

Thanks for sharing the label too - I have always like the statement on the bottom "the birthplace of karate".

“Spirit first, technique second.” – Gichin Funakoshi