• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all, this week we look back at our work on passing the guards we've discussed the weeks prior (X and De La Riva)

Here's a breakdown of a De la Riva pass that is driven by some of the offensive options we saw from the guard position the week before:

Does the pattern make sense based on the offensive options? What else are you seeing that has the potential for creating a pass here? What other pass options do other people prefer from this position?

Next week we'll be brining it back down to less sportive material, but I really wanted one more week to continue to burn the body mechanics and base control that you learn with these methods into everyone's head.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nice tutorial, Alex; thank you for sharing!!

I saw several things and liked what I saw!! Listen, I've been rolling on the floor for 51 years this October, and I don't want to ever seem that I know everything, because I DON'T!! So, please allow me to give the floor to other KF members here because I too, get tired of my own voice.

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

Great video. We are currently going over a lot of De La Riva concepts at the moment and it's nice to see a video that passes guard and not just focuses on sweeps!

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

Thanks for another great break down. As always you are providing great details an options. I used to get smoke from De La Riva guard until I attended a Luiz Palhares seminar that focused on defeating this position. He taught the same thing you have here. He also mentioned pulling the foot up and dealing with that angle. Depending on what I feel in the beginning here determine whether I [push or pull the top foot. Luiz said as long as you change the position you are bettering yourself.

Nice explanation. I have not seen that guard before.

Here's a couple of examples of how we use it:

If someone is looking at grappling from a pure SD angle, I can see you one wouldn't spend a lot of time around this particular guard. It's very much a jiu jitsu vs. jiu jitsu guard. Still, it's a great, dynamic position that is very much part of the art.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for taking the time to link those examples to it. I appreciate that. Something you mentioned in the ball and chain recap was in regards to "not initiating a scramble," and that the scramble belonged to athleticism. That is probably my biggest weakness in the DT mat room; I'm not in good shape, and would not consider myself athletic, and I have a tough time keeping up with the younger, more athletic guys in the room; especially talented Wrestlers. So, that is something I constantly battle in the mat room.

Thanks for taking the time to link those examples to it. I appreciate that. Something you mentioned in the ball and chain recap was in regards to "not initiating a scramble," and that the scramble belonged to athleticism. That is probably my biggest weakness in the DT mat room; I'm not in good shape, and would not consider myself athletic, and I have a tough time keeping up with the younger, more athletic guys in the room; especially talented Wrestlers. So, that is something I constantly battle in the mat room.

Me too. Even though I'm in pretty good shape for my age, I'm still in my 40s now. It's easy to get caught up in the play for athleticism. But being able to build technical, connection-based transitions is a better long term solution to most all problems. I try to never engage in a scramble. I try to always build connection and effect his base and motion so I can move under control to my next control point. It's far less energy and far more likely to be successful for me. Easy to say, harder to do :lol: Even for me and I've been at this a while.